December 16, 2014

Ideas on Tuesdays 188: Practicing Evolution...

Into the deep_COSMOS science magazine
A regular feature on POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAYS, rather than irritating you, I'd like to both challenge and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them -- and that you can post in the comment section.

Summers I teach a class called Alien Worlds. So many kids took the class that I had to create an ADVANCED Alien Worlds; and my "kids" are getting older and older.

Part of the class involves creating an intelligent alien from a simple creature using logical, realistic changes that take place over time.

Here's a recent discovery about deep sea life research into something called a "dark energy biosphere". Give yourself a couple of characters and write me a STORY!

http://web.cosmosmagazine.com/features/into-deep/


(PS -- the reason for the brevity is because I'm going in for skin cancer surgery this morning! Later!)


Image: http://www.darkenergybiosphere.org/research/images/joides_300w.jpg

No comments: