May 17, 2011

Ideas on Tuesday 13: Aliens Over Earth

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.

Piggybacking on last week’s idea regarding the Terracotta Army of Xi’an, China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army), I thought of another. What if an international team discovers a small group of four “soldiers” recently unearthed, and those statues are clearly not human, but some sort of fantastic creatures? Closer examination reveals that while three of them were made of the same materials as the rest of the Army and are hollow – the fourth one contains a skeleton which, when it’s examined, proves to be REAL? And what if an alien starship appears, hovering over Earth?

image:http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/4062534633_6c514bb345.jpg

No comments: