October 26, 2011

Ideas On Tuesday 35

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.

H Trope: small MONSTERS

Current Event: (not exactly a “current” event, but these movies never die – and the costumes come out every Halloween!) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ijFPRg3dHDE/TD4saKS4bRI/AAAAAAAAAEM/NuEyy_6gcu0/s1600/Alien-Chest-Burster.jpg

The “little” monsters have always creeped me out because they can hide under your bed or in your closet.

MONSTERS, INC played with that idea, giving the monsters an excuse for doing what they did rather than being malevolent beasts intent on our desctruction.

Little monsters STILL creep me out. Probably THE most horrible little monster was the “chestburster” from the movie, ALIEN. I hated that thing. Gave me nightmares for months.

So – let’s stir it all up…an ALIEN-like creature lands on Earth, the last survivor of a ship-wide disaster. It has one egg left and implants it in an unwary stray dog. It’s born near the school and gets in during a dance.

Now the usual trope is that it eats the students until the Army rescues them or a smart and sassy girl leads a student group against the thing and smashes it in the nick of time…

But let’s try this, smart and sassy girl catches is and cages it. It grows fast but she manages to keep it fed and it IMPRINTS on her, following her loyally. Feeding it chickens and pigs and other barnyard fare (though it only eats once a week or so), she learns how to communicate with it…you take it from here!

No comments: