December 19, 2013

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION 10


The Cold War between the Kiiote and the Yown’Hoo has become a shooting war.  On Earth, there are three Triads one each in Minneapolis, Estados United; Pune, India; and Harbin, China. Protected by the Triad Corporation, they intend to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world.; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. The Yown’Hoo know about the extra-Universe Braider, aliens whose own “civil war” mirrors the Cold War. The Braiders accidentally created a resonance wave that will destroy the Milky Way and the only way it stop it is physically – the Yown’Hoo-Kiiote-Human Triads may be their only chance of creating a solution. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society may produce a stability capable of launching incredible expansion, creativity, longevity and wealth.

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans –two; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds. Grendl, Manitoba is one such place. No one but the Triad Company has ever heard of it and the physical plant goes by the unobtrusive name of Organic Prairie Dairy.

The Triads never hear of anything they aren’t spoon fed in their luxury worlds and have heard only rumors of the farms and ranches. Surrounded by a Humanity that has degenerated into a “duck-and-cover” society as the Big Boys fight their war, they don’t care about anything but their own lives. Oblivious, cocooned, manipulated, they have no idea that their privileges are about to be violently curtailed.

It was NOT overgrown, rather it had been plowed and cultivated! How had Doj not smelled this? Clearly Humans lived here...

A deep, gruff voice said from the darkness, “One move stranger and you’ll have a perforated ulcer – from the outside in.” The threat was emphasized by the sharp sound of the pump action of a shotgun.

I raised my hands in the air, a surrender move I’d seen in an old-fashioned flat movie from the middle of the 20th Century called a Western and said, “Don’t shoot.”

“One good reason.”

“We’re trying to escape,” said Shayla suddenly. There was a sound I’d never heard before from her direction. It took me a second to recognize the buzz of nerve disruptor – not a military grade, but deadly all the same.

The person on the other end of the pump action shotgun snorted in laughter, saying, “Why don’t you come on in for a bowl...” he paused, sniffed the air, then added, “You and the rest of the Triad are welcome here.”

“What...Triad...” Shayla stammered.

“It’s obvious – and I can smell the Kiiote.”

“They don’t...”

“I met them fifteen years ago when they swarmed the colony at Cabeus Crater.”

“There were no survivors!” I said.

“I’m relieved to know I can let my garden go to seed now because I don’t exist.” There was a long pause, then he said, “I’m Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh, retired. Bring your Triad on in.”

I didn’t know what to say. Shayla was silent, too – maybe for the first time since we met when we were three. She suddenly said, “We need a place to stay before we leave.”

“From what I can see, you need more than a place to stay. You need to get out of this City.” He turned and opened his gate. “Tell the Kiiote to stay away from me. I’ve been conditioned to kill them. While I’m pretty sure I can control myself, I can’t guarantee it.”

“What about the Yown’Hoo?” From the shadows, the Herd Mother Dao-Hi stepped.

“I’ve no beef with your kind, Herd Mother. It’s just them,” he gestured to a tangle of brush hugging the ground.

The branches shook as Qap rearranged his bones and musculature so that he could stand. He said, “The Pack will stay in the garage, Lieutenant Commander.”

“The basement is warmer and more appropriate. I also don’t need any of my neighbors getting curious.”

“You don’t have any neighbors,” said Shayla.

“Just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they can’t see you.”

“There are Humans watching us?” said a different Yown’Hoo voice.

“Why would that surprise you? People have been watching the Triad feed since the day they opened your house in the Old Metrodome.”

“They’re watching us?”

The gate swung open silently. Patrick said, “Let’s talk more inside. I don’t want your arrival to end up on rLife.”

Qap growled and yipped. The rest of the Pack followed as Patrick went to a separate doorway set into the side of the house. He palmed a lock and stepped back as heavy door slowly opened as a motor somewhere whined. “You can bunk down there. The others can access the room from a staircase inside.”

“How do we know...” Towt began.

Shayla snarled in Ki. The Pack hurried down the ramp. The doors closed. Patrick opened the back door and stood back. Shayla went in first – I’m sure to salve the wounds of her litter mate. The Herd Mother followed and I brought up the rear. Before I entered, Patrick snagged my sleeve. I stopped as he said, “They’re looking for you. Half the City’s convinced you’ve all been murdered. The other half think you’re going to bring the Hot War down on us.” He shook my arm and said, “What are you up to?”

I shook my head as I said, “I wish I knew what was going on. I just know we have to get out  of here and North is the only way to go.”
Image: http://i2.wp.com/media.globalnews.ca/videothumbnails/561/207/GNMORN091913prisoners_640x360_48907331733.jpg?w=670

No comments: