September 8, 2017

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION Chapter 70

On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. All three intelligences hover on the edge of extinction. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society might not only save all three – but become something not even they could predict. Something entirely new...

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Xiomara; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two, warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”
“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”
 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”
 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

Before they started their war, both the Yown’Hoo and the Kiiote had explored the galaxy and knew that all it was, was the Kiiote, the Yown’Hoo…and Humans. [AUTHOR’S NOTE: THERE ARE ALSO THE TCH – A FRIGID-FORM, CRYSTALLINE HIVE MIND; AND THE BAHWOOH, THE REMANT OF A BALLOON INTELLIGENCE THAT ONCE RULED THE MILKY WAY BUT COLLAPSED FOR MYSTERIOUS REASONS AND INHABITS ONLY MASSIVE BROWN DWARF STARS] Some whack-a-doodles on the home worlds decided that it was their manifest destiny to get rid of the inferior Other and the mutual feeling spawned their war.

We’re just an afterthought because Earth was the perfect place for both of them to reproduce. Plus they got smart babysitters into the deal so they could continue to fight and make new soldiers.

I know. It sounds sick, but I can’t judge, either. As far as I can see, it’s what Humans did to the Korean peninsula two hundred years ago.

We had to fix this; not just the aliens, but Humans as well. Humans have a long, long history of hatred and persecution. Usually the ones persecuting were certain they were right. They once thought they had a god on their side. Then they had science on their side. Both belief systems led us to the brink of war or directly into one.

All three of us had to learn how to get along. We had to change the future or it would just be more of the past. I stopped my charge north to wait for the Triad, its guardians and its teachers.

By the time they caught up, I was in my right mind again. Maybe I’d been OK all along. But now I think I knew where I was going.

I was gonna lead.

Retired caught up to me first. I stuck out my arm and said, “You were right, Sir.” He pushed against my arm. I shoved back.

He grunted, then said, “Very well, Boy. Let’s see what you’re made of.”

Herd, Pack, and the other half of my Tribe trundled down the tunnel and came to a stop. Retired stepped behind me as I turned to face them.

“What is happening?” said Qap.

“I think it’s time I start doing what I was made to do,” I said. Stupidly, my voice chose that moment to crack. I cleared my throat, knowing that I was blushing furiously and glad for the dimness of the tunnel lamps. “Sorry. Listen, we’re the North American Triad – GURion isn’t and neither is Retired. We are. So, I’m going to try my hand at leading.” Before anyone could protest, I raised my voice over the Yown’Hoo whistles and yips from the Kiiote. “No, I’m not going to do anything stupid! We’ve got a long trip. I think we need to pass leadership back and forth.”

“What are you babbling about?” said Xio.

“You and me. We can lead,” I gestured between us.

“Why?” she pointed to Retired. “He knows more than all of us together! Why would I want to follow you?”

I couldn’t help it. I looked back at him. His face was still; as if it had been carved from obsidian. I looked back to Xio, glared and said, “It’s time.” Then I locked gazes with her. She put one of her incredibly tough fists on her hip. I almost gulped, but stopped myself. Then I said, “Because Retired is going to die before we do and we’ll have to think for ourselves. So – you can do what I’m going to suggest, or you can give up on me before I even get a chance to be a failure.” I glared. After a few heartbeats, her fist uncurled and her hand fell to her side. Qap’s form softened and even though she didn’t revert to her four-legged form, she relaxed the two-legged one – a Kiiote sign of suspicious resignation.

I looked at Dao-hi. After a moment, her tentacles slid from their grooves alongside her neck, the tips pointing at me. She was giving me temporary authority over the Herd. I nodded and said, “Here’s what I think: I was reviewing our route north. I think we go to the surface outside of Monticello,” that was the site of the only nuclear power plant on central North America to be purposely destroyed by the Kiiote. “We head straight north into the national wildlife refuge.”

“But that’s…” Retired began. I turned to glare at him. His eyes widened and he lifted his chin then nodded.

“I continued, “…because staying here is the obvious route to take. I have no doubt that our movements are being tracked…”

The rest of the Triad burst out with angry growls, shouts, and whistles. I held up my hands and remarkably, they shut up. “Someone’s been on our tail since we left the Dome. We need to search our clothes and bags,” I looked at GURion, “And you need to scan everyone one of us – naked. They know where we are. Once we’re clean, we exit the tunnel and then meet up with it again west of the city of Foley. We can move faster overland – and anyone following us will figure we’ve kept on through the tunnel because it’s the easy route.” I looked around at everyone, finally turning to face Retired.

He grunted and said, “Let’s get moving, ‘Car. I’ll take point and GURion can follow all of us,” he looked to me, and waited.

I nodded, adding, “How far is the next overnight spot?”

“Ten kilometers. If we move it, we’ll make it there in seven hours. Then we can rest, then strip and redress and head for the surface.” He set off. A moment later, I set off after him; the rest of the Triad close behind.
                                                                                      

No comments: