September 10, 2017

WRITING ADVICE: Can This Story Be SAVED? #16: “A Time To Heal”/"The Body of Man, Given For You" (Submitted 9 Times Since 2013)

In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, In April of 2014, I figured I’d gotten enough publications that I could share some of the things I did “right”. I’ll keep that up, but I’m running out of pro-published stories. I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it, but someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. Hemingway’s quote above will remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales, but I’m adding this new series of posts because I want to carefully look at what I’ve done WRONG and see if I can fix it. As always, your comments are welcome!

ANALOG Tag Line:
Would you be willing to give up your life for something you weren’t sure you believed in?

Elevator Pitch (What Did I Think I Was Trying To Say?)
Noah Bemisemagak ran from a horrible incident he’d precipitated as a teacher to an interstellar situation that’s not that different from the one he’d fled.

Opening Line:
“No one ever bothered to ask.”
Onward:
“Going to the Shabe Captain’s lavish dinner party was the only way Noah Bemisemagak could leave behind the Guru Suicides and the Humans and Sentients who obsessed over them. His path to Mars, interstellar space, danger, and martyrdom led first through this dinner party. He closed his eyes. If Earth Government had given him a choice between the party and leading a group of extreme biker teens on a first contact mission with aliens who looked like Hallucigenians on steroids while he drove a wheelchair, he’d have taken the wheelchair and the teenagers. They hadn’t.

“Nowhere in his application to Shabe-Human Contact and Debt Reduction – SHuCADRe, the Cadre for short – did it bother to ask if he enjoyed parties. He didn’t.

"In briefs on the bed of his two-room suite, he snorted. No sane adult would have given him the chance to work with teens, bikes, and wheelchairs.  Four of his students had killed themselves jumping from the upper levels of the Minneapolis-St Paul Vertical Village with badly home-made hang gliders. He was the guru who’d written the query markers leading to their unguided experiment. His poor judgment was common knowledge. That the kids had hacked into the query marker trail of a student who had the skills and support necessary to do all of those things successfully was much less well known. Nine years after the event, no one bothered asking. That may have been because the middle seven of those years, he’d been drunk or stoned.”

What Was I Trying To Say?
If only I’d done the tag line and elevator pitch BEFORE I wrote the story, I might not have had so much trouble reigning it in. In fact, I think I’m going to go do that for my current work in progress right now…

The Rest of the Story:
Noah does WAY too much after this point – he runs into a survivor from his past and her guardian, he’s introduced to a BUNCH of weird aliens, meets a good kid named Dale who is WAY more than he appears to be, a political situation where an Iroquois Republic and First Nations Vertical Village wants to secede from Earth and have its own representation in the Unity, the beginnings of the United Faith In Humanity pogroms, the four Divisions of Earth’s united government, fractures in the Shabe (aliens to whom Earth owes a deep debt), interstellar politics, religion – Human and alien (and my main character is a Christian), the tenets of the United Faith in Humanity, introduce a new aphorism: “‘Never read into an alien, Human intent or purpose.’”, Noah gets lost, meets objections to his work at the Voyageurs Gray Wolf Institute, “just happens” to see the kid being kidnapped (did I mention the kid was in a wheelchair???), nine pages before the end of this “story” we come to the mystery, introduces ANOTHER key concept of the alien associations Humans find themselves in: “As you are Sentient-but-not-Sane, the ritual practices laid out by our beliefs are safe from exposure to public judgment or censure as no Sentient member of the Unity would take anything you told them to be truth. Your observations of our worship service may instructive and allow you to lead the evolution of your people into Sentience.”, he witnesses an alien communion service after sacrificing his own body in place of the original handicapped victim, saves her life and is promoted to Sentience by the aliens, almost gets arrested for kidnapping the former student, the Shabe Reformation, and finally – how does all of this connect together…and finds out Dale is a major in the Combined Forces of Earth assigned to ALL of the issues above…

End Analysis:
This is a blueprint for a series of novels, so there’s NOTHING that can be done to save this story because it’s three or four novels; prequels to my novel, OUT OF THE DEBTOR STARS (which I will soon submit to Baen Books…where it will stay for a year) while I look for another agent.

Can This Story Be Saved?
In a word, “No.” It’s not a story.

“But…”

It can be broken into novels and I can tell just the one story without all the rest wrapped around it. I like Noah. I like Dale. I can slim it down to that simple story and Noah’s meeting with the weird alien Ybrayith. We’ll see if I do.


No comments: