October 22, 2017

WRITING ADVICE: Can This Story Be SAVED? #17 “The Thirteenth Artifact” (Submitted 10 Times Since 2014, Revised Once)

In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, In April of 2014, I figured I’d gotten enough publications that I could share some of the things I did “right”. I’ll keep that up, but I’m running out of pro-published stories. I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it, but someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. Hemingway’s quote above will remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales, but I’m adding this new series of posts because I want to carefully look at what I’ve done WRONG and see if I can fix it. As always, your comments are welcome!

Preparing for this essay, I realized suddenly that I skipped several markets for it entirely, most notably, ANALOG, as well as IGMS, LIGHTSPEED, COMPELLING, and (I think) GIGANOTOSAURUS…so this may lead to another revision in light of these misses!

ANALOG Tag Line
Are Humans more than precocious monkeys? A union of Sentient aliens wants to know!

Elevator Pitch (What Did I Think I Was Trying To Say?)
After First Contact, a representative of the Unity of Sentients assigned to Humanity – the Shabe – have watched with condescending boredom as Humans race to find Artifacts planted by them as a sort of “Turing Test”. Humans have unearthed twelve technological artifact on Earth. Each one was JUST beyond the capabilities of the most technologically advanced society of the era in which it appears. It is conversely, ALWAYS placed in one of the least advanced societies of that era. There is only one Artifact remaining. It will be just beyond the ability of mid-Twenty First Century Humanity to detect using technology. INTELLIGENCE will be what will find it.

Opening Line:
“What did you say your name was?” the young Haitian National Police officer looked up at her, squinting, then back down at the stack of identification papers.”

Onward:
“Stamatina Isabeau Alcine.”

He scowled, “You don’t look French.”

“I’m not. I’m American.”

He snorted and folded her papers to return them.

Stamatina took a deep breath, held it, then began in Haitian creole, “Paran manman m' yo te asasine pa tonton macoutes pour doktè Divalye,” the young man crossed himself, eyes going wide. She’d said that her mother’s parents had been murdered by Baby Doc Duvalier’s tonton macoutes. She continued, “...in 1983. My mother was adopted by an American family, through their church-sponsored orphanage. She graduated from high school and went to nursing school. While she was there, she worked with a study partner, a man from Ghana who eventually got bored with his education and raped her. I was conceived. As a single mother, family friends took care of me while mother finished college. I graduated from high school some years later with highest honors – which I also did from Harvard with a degree in cultural anthropology. I got a masters with similar honors in Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Washington State University. My PhD is in Xenoarchaeology from Texas A&M. I was asked by the Haitian government to join the team trying to determine if the thirteenth Unity artifact is really here.”

She wanted to say more, but clamped her jaw tightly. She hadn’t meant to lose her temper. Taking a deep breath, she knew she was here to prove that the alien Shabe did not own Earth; and that in xenoarchaeology, her instinct would trump her archrival’s technology every time.

A shout came from inside the electrified cyclone fence the young Haitian man was guarding. “Matina!” the big, fat, white guy inside cried, arms outspread, limping along a crushed stone trail.

Her anger drained away. Glancing sheepishly at the Haitian officer, she tilted sideways, waving to the man behind the cyclone fence, “Hey, Doctor Gospel!”

What Was I Trying To Say?
IF there are aliens out there (while I deeply WANT there to be, but there’s NO EVIDENCE. Yet the most brilliant minds of our time – Stephen Hawking, David Brin, Carl Sagan, Hillary Clinton, Jon Willis, Sara Seager, Jim Al-Khalili, and Lewis Dartnell (who, being an astrobiologist does, by definition – believe in aliens)), I don’t think they’ll just hook their arm (or whatever) and say, “C’mon down!”.

Just like we have criteria for membership in every august body on Earth as such diverse societies as the US Legislature, the Politburo, the League of Women Voters, China, First Nation, and millions of others, so members must meet the criteria of the Unity of Sentients. To be considered SENTIENT and able to join the Unity as participating members, we must pass this Turing Test.

The Rest of the Story:
Stamatina, aka Matina, is a xenoarchaeologist, one of the first of her kind. She also has a history as a half-Haitian, half Kenyan woman. She believes she’s discovered the Thirteenth Artifact. Her competition, Dukernst André Frisch believes the same – that HE has discovered the Thirteenth Artifact.

She’s the one who has, with the help of her mentor and friend, Profesè Evangile.

End Analysis:
My best analysis is that the story is…muddled. Parts of it are clear – the history, locale, and even the main character, Stamatina, are all real and well-researched. I got that. The feel – I felt the pounding Haitian sun on my head during the winter of 1980, when I was there as a short-term missionary. We started work on an orphanage. It was my very first experience with extreme poverty…Matina really WAS the daughter of a friend of ours (though the name and other information has been changed to protect her and our friend!)

But the story itself (once again, I must sadly say) suffers from too MUCH story. Also, it’s the beginning of a much longer story rather than a separate story.

Reflecting last night before falling asleep, I realized that after reading a recent issue of my favorite magazine, not one of the stories I read really had a “take-away”. Not ONE of them “spoke to me”.

All of them were professional quality, interesting, entertaining, even. But they didn’t “say something”. I didn’t walk away unable to stop thinking about either the characters or what the author was trying to communicate. That’s not true of the magazine all the time, but since the elder editor passed on the mantle…the stories haven’t decreased in quality. They’ve decreased in “weight”…

I should point out that the highest rating on my scale would include Anne McCaffery’s first Pern short story, “Weyr Search”; David Brin’s (it’s the first section of his Nebula and Hugo award winning STARTIDE RISING) “The Tides of Kithrup”, and Lois McMaster Bujold’s spectacularly haunting, “The Mountains of Mourning”.

All three of them carried deep questions that never intruded on the story. Perhaps I’ll iterate this idea the next time WRITING ADVICE cycles through…

Can This Story Be Saved?
Sure – and I think I will try and save it. I haven’t exhausted the markets and I like the story. It’s just so muddled, I think a thorough going over with a steel-toothed comb might comb out the snarls. First off will be clarifying the reason for finding the Thirteenth Artifact; though to be truthful, I’d never clarified it to MYSELF until I just finished it an hour ago, so “No surprise!” I wasn’t communicated the idea very well.

So – I’ll do it. Soon. Though I have MORE than enough writing work to do at the moment…


No comments: