November 7, 2017

IDEAS ON TUESDAYS 329

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.


Mohamed Omar looked at his best friend, Waris Abdi. She scowled at him over the face veil of her hijab and said, “If you keep looking at me that way, I’m telling my uncle and he’ll take your kneecaps with a pliers.”

Mohamed raised his eyebrows and said, “Ooo, I’m scared.” He’d known her uncle since he was little. He was a teacher and one of the kindest men Mohamed had ever met. “Now, are we gonna do this or do I need a new best friend?”

Waris snorted and shook her head, but he could hear the grin in her voice when she said, “We’re going to do it no matter what. It’s what we were created for.”

He grunted. Of the two of them, she was the more religious and they’d had their disagreements, but this time she was right. They’d been made for this. His old-fashioned hand-held phone was loaded with the flit program. Waris’ father had gotten her the most up-to-date phone and the chip was embedded in her hand. She held it in the air, like some of their evangelical Christian friends would do when they sang. She said, “Ready.”

They were outside the school in small amphitheater on the far side of the parking lot. Muhamed’s flit hovered overhead, silent on its fleshy blades. Inside of it, him and Waris had pooled their credit and got the best brainup they could afford. It should be just large enough to hold enough of their minds for them to have some real fun – and maybe help their friends. They were being targeted by some of the more correct Muslims at the school. Their friends – mainly Rodrigo and Shelly – had even been attacked on their way to their church service one morning.

Waris said suddenly, as if she were reading her mind, “Is this gonna be OK?”

Muhamed shrugged, “I don’t care if it’s gonna be OK. They’re our friends and they should be able to believe what they want to believe. People we know are trying to hurt them. This is the right thing to do – even the Prophet said in Chapter (4) sūrat l-nisāa, “Why do you not fight for the cause of God or save the helpless men, women, and children who cry out, ‘Lord, set us free from this town of wrong doers and send us a guardian and a helper?’”

She didn’t reply, but the corners of her eyes crinkled. “All right then. Is your memory up to date?”

“Yep, I did it right after school.”

“I did it when I got out here.”

They looked into the sky. The flit came, its UHD camera eye looking at them. In this state, it had roughly the intelligence of a cat. It knew they owned it and it knew it would do what it could to help them.

Adding in both of their minds would give them absolute control of all its abilities as well as leaving them enough consciousness to appear only drowsy while they sat and talked on the concrete bench.

Waris said suddenly, “What if one of those thugs have a raptor?”

It was Mohamed who grinned this time as he said, “So you think I would have just got us a normal flit?” In the distance they both heard a sharp shriek, almost like the cry of a hawk…

Names: ; ♂ common Somali names          

No comments: