November 5, 2017

Slice of PIE: I DO NOT Want To Read the Book…

NOT using the panel discussions of the most recent World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki, Finland in August 2017 which I was once again unable to attend (until I retire from education), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Program Guide. Today is Something Else.

My dad is slowly dying from the accumulation of whatever it is that devours the brain of an Alzheimer’s patient.

The first quarter of the last year of the Class of 2018 ended on Friday.

While Fall is not officially over, Winter has arrived in my home state of Minnesota.

The newest book by author Julie Czerneda arrived in the mail a month ago and I have buried it under a pile of other books and papers.

Likely the above statements seem to disjointed to you. Alzheimer-ish, even. Perhaps I could explain? Perhaps even one word would do the trick.

Endings.

The end of my father’s Earthly existence is inexorably drawing closer. Admittedly mine is doing exactly the same thing; as it is happening to my seven-year-old grandson. However, his ending has been and will continue to be painful, if not for him, then for those of us around him.

The class of 2018 has been a difficult group of young people to work with in my role as a high school counselor. I met them when they were thirteen or fourteen years old and I have worked with them for the past three-and-one-quarter school years. When they graduate (those who make the grade) in June of 2018, I will likely be saying “good-bye” to most of them forever. Whether I want to or not.

As to winter’s approach, of COURSE I understand the cycle of seasons! This is my sixtieth time through around the Sun and the sixtieth time I’ve experienced the change in insolation that signals Autumn. I have experienced the conclusion of Fall in almost every way you can imagine – early, hot, late, cold, icy, warm, snowy, brutal, muddy, and sensual. It’s coming is inevitable. Of COURSE I know I could move to southern California or Lagos, Nigeria and avoid the weather entirely!

I have Julie Czerneda’s book, TO GUARD AGAINST THE DARK sitting right next to me – less than fifty centimeters away from my right hip.

I cannot read it. Not yet, anyway.

The reviews are fantastic. I have come to trust her as a writer and I have no doubt that the story will end exactly as I expect and as promised.

However, like my father’s life, the high school journey of the Class of 2018, and the Winter of 17-18, the moment I read the book, it will be all over for me. I will live the lives of Jason and Sira – and all the others – one more time without knowing how everything will turn out…and then all I’ll be doing is rereading them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m one of those people who has particular books that I read over, and over, and over again. But once the final chapter; the final paragraph; the final sentence; the final word is read…well if you’re a reader like me (with 1600 books in his library – about 20 which I re-read on a regular basis), you can maybe understand why Ms. Czerneda’s book will sit under the pile for quite a while.

The life of a reader (and I am certain) a writer, is full of such bitter-sweet moments. When I DO read it finally, I’ll let you know what I felt.

No comments: