June 24, 2018

POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY: No Futures For Alzheimer’s and Dementia Sufferers


Using the Programme Guide of the World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki Finland in August 2017 (to which I will be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Programme Guide. The link is provided below…

Mental Illness in Science Fiction and Fantasy
Mental illnesses are often used as "short hand" for being evil, but they are also used much more realistically and successfully in science fiction and fantasy. The panelists discuss the good and the bad examples from fiction. (8/12/2017, Saturday 11 am)

Ash Charlton: loved, written f/sf (not published)
Howard Tayler: writer and illustrator, co-hosts “Writing Excuses” podcast
Mary Duffy: Assistant Editor
Emma Newman: author, co-writer and presenter of a podcast

Hmmm, no disrespect intended, but it seems like the Con Committee couldn’t find enough people to fill this discussion…Newman seems to be highly qualified,

Where’s Mishell Baker (The Arcadia Project books); Erika Satifka (Stay Crazy); Dan Wells (John Cleaver series); David Mean (Hystopia); and there are others listed in my resources below.

Be that as it may, there’s really only one branch of mental illness that concerns me and while it’s a disease as well, it certainly CAUSES mental illness. I know you may complain that I harp of this subject endlessly, but it’s personal and it’s an axe I will continue to grind until there’s MORE than hope on the horizon.

Looking through posts on cures, treatments, or SOMETHING effective for Alzheimer’s, I find things about “herbal cures”, laser helmets (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5459322/); treatments for diabetes that miraculously cure Alzheimer’s (I wrote about this here: http://breastcancerreaper.blogspot.com/2018/01/guys-gotta-https://www.outerplaces.com/science/item/17440-find-cure-alzheimers-by-accidenttalk-aboutalzheimers-13.html) and any number of things, but what I DON’T find is science fiction dealing with curing Alzheimer’s. Probably because current SF writers aren’t “that age” yet.

So there’s really nothing much to talk about here. Clearly mental health has caught the attention of the speculative fiction community.

Seems like it might be time to do a novel about Alzheimer’s and its treatment – and the implications of that treatment. Nancy Kress, one of my favorite “issue” SF writer took on the societal impact of creating people who no longer have to sleep in what has come to be called the SLEEPLESS series (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beggars_in_Spain). Wikipedia points out that the core question of the series “…what do productive and responsible members of society owe the ‘beggars in Spain’, the unproductive masses who have nothing to offer except need?”

What if I could develop a core moral question for a novella – I wrote the short story (here: http://theworkandworksheetsofguystewart.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-pig-tale-by-guy-stewart-analog.html) Would I be able to ask the questions that Kress asked about eliminating sleep from the Human genome? Could I spin it into a series? Certainly John Scalzi touched on the subject, though never explicitly in his novel OLD MAN’S WAR (you can read his acerbic humor and fascinating insights as well as read about his novels here: https://whatever.scalzi.com/)

So…I think I need to get to work.


No comments: