September 9, 2018

WRITING ADVICE: What Went RIGHT #43…With “Fairy Bones” (Submitted 5 times with one revision, sold to CAST OF WONDERS, November 2015)


In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, Lin Oliver speak at a convention hosted by the Minnesota Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Since then, I have shared (with their permission) and applied the writing wisdom of Lin Oliver, Jack McDevitt, Nathan Bransford, Mike Duran, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, SL Veihl, Bruce Bethke, and Julie Czerneda. Together they write in genres broad and deep, and have acted as agents, editors, publishers, columnists, and teachers. Since then, I figured I’ve got enough publications now that I can share some of the things I did “right” and I’m busy sharing that with you.

While I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it...neither do all of the professional writers above...someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. When I started this blog, that was NOT true, so I may have reached a point where my own advice is reasonably good. We shall see! Hemingway’s quote above will now remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales! As always, your comments are welcome!
This story started out as a story about me and where I live. So the first thing I did right was start with something familiar; to use the proper writer’s vernacular, I “wrote what I knew”.

Of course, I’d also been told never to write a story claiming “it’s true! I only changed the names!”…well, that doesn’t cut the cheese.

“…simply jotting down a transcript of a real event and inserting it into a novel may not work particularly well; all too often, a purely factual account will not provide the reader accustomed to fiction’s standards of world-depiction with sufficient information to be able to picture what the writer experienced…There’s a reason that perennial cry of the realistic writer — ‘But it really happened that way!’ — doesn’t particularly impress agents, editors, or contest judges, you know. With apologies to Aunt Virginia, no matter how true the facts, it’s the writer’s responsibility to make them seem true to the reader.” (Anne Mini)

Besides, there are no fairies in the marsh near my house. Cranes, fox, coyote, wood ducks, pheasant, bald eagles, red-tailed hawks – absolutely yes! Also, there’s no retirement community right next to the park reserve. At least not yet. But the rest of it? The weather, the owls and their pellets, the grandson (mine is only eight years old right now), and the science of checking meals of owls to ascertain the health of the populations of  both the predator and prey – though there are no stick pads to reconstruct skeletons on (who would bother?) – those are all real.

Combined, they created something I wrote about last week. They made a story that communicated a sense of wonder. There are LOTS of definitions of what constitutes a sense of wonder. Distilled down from a FEW sources I found:

“While science or fantasy or horror can be the vehicle, this is entirely a FEELING that comes from inside a READER [from stories that]…have something unreal about them…a feeling of awakening or awe triggered by an expansion of one’s awareness of what is possible or by confrontation with the vastness of space and time…‘conceptual breakthrough’ or ‘paradigm shift’…achieved through the recasting of…previous narrative experiences in a larger context…speculation rooted in reality…Any[0ne] who has looked up at the stars at night and thought about how far away they are, how there is no end or outer edge to this place, this universe—any[one] who has felt the thrill of fear and excitement at such thoughts…some widening of the mind’s horizons, not matter what direction…any new sensory experience, impossible to the reader in his own person, is…what the activity of science fiction is writing about…a position from which they can glimpse for themselves, with no further auctorial aid, a scheme of things where mankind is seen in a new perspective…”

Given this as a starting ground, both of my stories unconsciously did this. In the first, I had a group of Human teenagers spend several days with a group of WheeAh teenagers isolated on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean. Something bad happens and the group pulls together and “saves the day”.

In “Fairy Bones”, a cranky teenager shuffled between divorced parents ends up cooling his jets with grandmaw: a sentence to boredom, without a doubt. She isn’t any more thrilled about spending time with a moody adolescent, but just figures she’s got a job to do. He’s the one then who discovers what appears to be the skeleton that is NOT a mouse or anything else, but a HUMANOID. Together, grandmother and grandson begin to unravel what appears to be something the government even knows about! They draw together and end up appreciating each other – expanding both their knowledge of the UNIVERSE and of each other.

It may not have impressed editors whose usual markets diminish the importance of anyone younger than (say) 35 or 60…but COW bought it after suggesting a few things that sharpened both the focus of the story and the interaction between the boy and his grandmother. After incorporating the editor’s suggestions, the story was much stronger and they published it.

Takeaway: the sense of wonder is something I need to incorporate not only for COW stories, but also for all of my work. It is, after all, what science fiction is supposed to be about. I aimed it at this market and the wrote to editorial request.

This was a fun story and I have an idea for a sort of “sequel”. Working title is “Fairy Tones” about communicating with the fairies…


No comments: