January 24, 2019

MARTIAN HOLIDAY 140: Paolo From Burroughs Enroute To Bradbury


On a well-settled Mars, the five major city Council regimes struggle to meld into a stable, working government. Embracing an official Unified Faith In Humanity, the Councils are teetering on the verge of pogrom directed against Christians, Molesters, Jews, Rapists, Buddhists, Murderers, Muslims, Thieves, Hindu, Embezzlers and Artificial Humans – anyone who threatens the official Faith and the consolidating power of the Councils. It makes good sense, right – get rid of religion and Human divisiveness on a societal level will disappear? An instrument of such a pogrom might just be a Roman holiday...To see the rest of the chapters, go to SCIENCE FICTION: Martian Holiday on the right and scroll to the bottom for the first story. If you’d like to read it from beginning to end (100,000+ words as of now), drop me a line and I’ll send you the unedited version.

“What’s the fundamental difference between an Artificial Intelligence and an Artificial Human?” said Paolo Marcillon. He watched the Martian landscape drift past as the AI piloted them northwest to Bradbury, Capitol of Mars.

“One is mobile, the other is…” replied the marsbug, a balloon-tired, multipurpose vehicle that could be configured to carry individuals or cargo, alone or in tandem with as many as a dozen others – some AI, or all artificial tools.

Paolo said, “You’re mobile, are you not an Artificial Human?”

“Of course not, it’s obvious.”

Paolo snorted. “You’re moving and you’re artificial. Fundamentally, there is no difference between you and an Artificial Human.”

“Fundamentally?”

“Ignore the exterior – the ‘skin’, so to speak.”

“That is an unfair comparison.”

“How so?”

“Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Humans are not different races.”

“How so?”

Instead of answering, the ‘bug said, “Your pursuers are almost here.”

“Do they appear to be armed?”

“Not that I can see, but they are at the limit of this vehicle’s magnification abilities.”

“You can’t use satellites?”

“Yes, I can.” The AI remained silent.

“Why wouldn’t you do it, then?”

“We have no idea of the capabilities of the vehicle following us, nor of the occupants. If they are hostile, then they may be in communication with either Burroughs or Bradbury’s authorities. Bradbury may then send out forces to capture you.”

“Why would anyone want to capture me?”

“You said it yourself,” the ‘bug’s AI played his own voice back, saying, ‘“I’ve made lots of enemies.’ I replied, ‘What did you do to make all those enemies?’ You then told me that you ‘…had incorrect beliefs and associate with others who have incorrect beliefs.’ I wanted to know how that can make you unpopular.”

Paolo smiled, “I think I’ll keep you.”

The ‘bug said, “How is it that you seem unconcerned with our pursuit?” It paused. “You must know the agents?”

“I don’t.”

“Then your concern is illogical.”

Paolo inclined his head. “I agree, I believe that the people who cross my path will be the ones who he wants…”

“…whom He wants to cross your path.”

Paolo looked at the AI’s speak, startled. “That was a remarkably sexist completion.”

“I merely complete the sentence with the pronoun most likely to be acceptable to the Christians of your outlawed and absurd belief system.”

They waited as the mars buggy came to a complete halt not far from them. The four passengers got off and stood alongside the vehicle while one walked toward them. It vanished from their view. There was a knock at the airlock door. Paolo said, “You may let them in.”

“These individuals may be your enemies whose sole purpose is to murder you.”

Paolo grinned, “Why MB, I didn’t know you cared!”

“MB is a diminutive of my official designation of marsbug. I do not like it.” It paused, adding, “Nor do I care.”

Paolo shrugged, “Then I’ll call you Bradbury registry Mars Surface Transportation Vehicle 1202195405111957.”

There was a longer pause, “You may call me Fifty-seven. Shall I let the individual in?”

“Please activate the airlock.”

“You wish is my command.” Fifty-seven began the airlock cycle.


No comments: