February 21, 2019

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION: CHAPTER 101 Oscar Alone 4


On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. All three intelligences hover on the edge of extinction. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society might not only save all three – but become something not even they could predict. Something entirely new...

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Xiomara; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two, warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”
“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”
 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”
 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

Nathaniel Wallace, the kid holding the stunner, said, “Dad’s sleeping. Why are you here?”

I took a deep breath, feeling better than I had since leaving Triad HQ back in Minneapolis and said, “Retired Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh…” I didn’t get to talk anymore, because Nathaniel shot me with his stunner again.

When I woke up, my hands were tied behind my back and I was laying on my side. At least he didn’t want me to choke to death on any bile I managed to throw up once the waves of stunner recovery started. He leaned forward and pressed the stunner to my chin and said, “If I shoot at this range, the beam will literally scramble your brain, causing it to short out, causing irreparable brain damage. If you’re lucky, you’ll be dead. If you’re unlucky, you’ll be a tube-fed, space-staring remnant of what you are now.”

I managed, “What am I now?”

“A prisoner of war.”

“Whose war? You working for the Yown’Hoo or the Kiiote?” He growled, so I said, “Got it, the Kiiote.”

“I don’t work for aliens! I’m working for Humans!”

I snorted. I couldn’t help it. “So am I.”

“The traitor Bakhsh…”

I would have jumped to my feet if my hands had been free and I wasn’t suffering from stunner sickness. As it was, I probably looked more like a teenager rising from the dead by the look on Nathaniel’s face. I bellowed, “He’s a great hero! He’s trying to bring peace on Earth!”

“He’s turning us over…”

I opened my mouth to argue and threw up. I think Xio called it ‘projectile vomiting’ once when I got a bad case of gastroenteritis. Only this was mostly acid and bile. Nathaniel cussed and skittered backwards. I fell into a heap on the floor and I don’t remember much after that. When I did wake up, Nathaniel was hovering over me and said, “You had a seizure. I didn’t mean…”

“What did you mean that Retired’s a traitor? Who told you that? He’s helped us from the beginning escape the fighting down in the Cities! He saved our whole Triad’s lives when somebody burned down my family’s farm…” Then all of a sudden I was weeping, not just crying, I was sobbing so hard I couldn’t breathe. Nathaniel reached behind me and took off the handcuffs or whatever he’d put there to tie me up. I wanted to strangle him; pound his face, but I couldn’t do anything but lay there and bawl like a baby. When that calmed down, I started to babble, “Who the fuck do you think you are accusing one of the greatest men on Earth of being a traitor? You’re the traitor! He’s a hero! He’s my hero!” Then I was sobbing again. After a while, I dragged my sleeve across my face, wiping away the snot.

“Listen…” Nathaniel began.

I rolled over and muttered another vulgarity. I hated words like that. Retired once said that using them was a crutch. It meant I couldn’t hold up my end of a discussion and I was trying to distract the person I was arguing with from my stupid beliefs. He once told me that using vulgar words proved that I’d lost the ability to reason. The word ‘vulgar’ meant it was a word common, low, or uncultured people  use. He’d told all of us that we were none of those things. The Triad was a hope for the nearly trillion intelligent beings making up all Humans, Kiiote, and Yown’Hoo. “We’re the hope of intelligent life in the universe.”

“Who is?”

I sat up slowly, looked up at the bully, and said, “You’ve never met Bakhsh, have you?”

“I don’t need to…”

I cut him off, “Because if you did, you’d have to make a decision for yourself and not just parrot what you’ve been told. Who told you Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh was a traitor?”

“It’s common knowledge.”

I slowly stood up, looked around the room, “Looks like you’re the only person around here. Among whom is it common knowledge?”

“Everybody!”

He walked – limped, actually – around the room, fighting down the urge to barf my empty stomach out again. “There doesn’t appear to be anyone else in this room. You’re telling me that not only are you the only source of information here, you haven’t bothered to do any research to find out what other people think.”

“I’ve done all the research I need to! Bakhsh is a traitor!”

“I disagree,” I said, staring at him. I ruined my solid attack by swaying and spreading my legs farther apart to steady myself.

“Your opinion doesn’t matter!”

“Why?”

He stared at me, sputtered, looked down at the ground, then looked up again. “You don’t know him like I know him.”

“He raised me,” I said. “In every way he’s been my mentor, my…if not father, my surrogate grandfather. He’s been like a grandfather to all…”

Nathaniel turned away, then turned back to me, “I’m glad he was a grandfather to someone, because he’s never been the grandfather he should have been to me. He IS my grandfather.”


No comments: