April 11, 2019

MARTIAN HOLIDAY 144: Paolo From Burroughs, Enroute to Bradbury


On a well-settled Mars, the five major city Council regimes struggle to meld into a stable, working government. Embracing an official Unified Faith In Humanity, the Councils are teetering on the verge of pogrom directed against Christians, Molesters, Jews, Rapists, Buddhists, Murderers, Muslims, Thieves, Hindu, Embezzlers and Artificial Humans – anyone who threatens the official Faith and the consolidating power of the Councils. It makes good sense, right – get rid of religion and Human divisiveness on a societal level will disappear? An instrument of such a pogrom might just be a Roman holiday...To see the rest of the chapters, go to SCIENCE FICTION: Martian Holiday on the right and scroll to the bottom for the first story. If you’d like to read it from beginning to end (100,000+ words as of now), drop me a line and I’ll send you the unedited version. (The image I'm using for Paolo is actually Brazilian astronaut, Marcos Pontes.)

Paolo Marcillon and the marsbug’s AI waited for the mars buggy that had been following them since leaving Burroughs, came to a complete halt not far from them. The four passengers got off. Three stood alongside the vehicle while one walked toward them. It vanished from their view. There was a knock at the airlock door. Paolo said, “You may let them in.”

“These individuals may be your enemies whose sole purpose is to murder you.”

Paolo grinned, “Why MB, I didn’t know you cared!”

“MB is a diminutive of my official designation of marsbug. I do not like it.” It paused, adding, “I can’t care.”

Paolo shrugged, “Then I’ll call you Bradbury registry Mars Surface Transportation Vehicle 1202195405111957.”

There was a longer pause, “You may call me Fifty-seven. Shall I let the individual in?”

“Please activate the airlock.”

“Your wish is my command.” Fifty-seven began the airlock cycle.

The exterior lock opened, then closed. Fifty-seven pressurized it then said, “You’re certain about this?”

“I am.”

“It is completely without logic. Everything you have told me and what I have gathered from the Martian database suggests that these people are here to kill you.”

Paolo shrugged, “I’m not an AI. I reached a point long ago where I simply trust my God.”

Fifty-seven actually said, “Harrumph,” then opened the inner airlock.

An artificial Human walked through. He stood up and said, “My name is DaneelAH. My vatmates and I believe that you’ve been manipulating us.”

Paolo’s eyebrows shot up. “Why would you think that?”

“There are many forces at work on Mars which appear to be aimed at creating a revolution. While this is really no different from revolutions in the past. There are individuals in this world who do not have the same rights and privileges as others and in the Twenty-third that seems a curious return to the sociopolitical framework of mid-Twentieth Century United States. As that country no longer exists because of violent revolution and absorption into a larger society, it’s clear that someone or something is manipulation the politics and science here. Your name comes up an inordinate number of times. Therefore, we have come to the conclusion that you are more than you appear to be.”

Paolo shook his head slowly. “Who are some of the people I’m being accused of manipulating?”

DaneelAH shook his head, saying, “My vatmates are outside and have a limited amount of breathable air. May I invite them in here?”

“May I point out that at this point, if you were to decide to kill me, I would stand some small chance of fighting you off one-on-one. With four of you, being Artificial Humans with higher than natural born Human muscle density, you could not only overpower me but toss me out the door without a spacesuit and not even break a sweat.”

DaneelAH shrugged, “I could do that myself, if I were to be honest with you.”

“My vehicle would lend a hand. It’s an Artificial Intelligence marsbug.” DaneelAH looked startled. “But I’m going to go with my gut feeling and invite you and your vatmates into this vehicle. I can’t wait to hear what I’m doing to bring about revolution on Mars.”

The Artificial Human gave him a long look, then put his helmet over his head, spoke and then took it off again. Paolo saw the other three move toward the marsbug. Eventually they all stood inside, cramped now in a space typically large enough for two to travel comfortably. They’d introduced themselves and immediately the small of the two males, HanAH, had taken a seat and said, “There’s a persistent rumor that not only is Natan Wallack still alive – he’s a Christian convert.”

DaneelAH lifted a hand, adding, “It’s a rumor; unsubstantiated and ephemeral…”

HanAH snorted, “That just means that there aren’t a lot of people talking about it where your spies can eavesdrop – and that could be for reasons both mundane and criminal.”

AzAH said, “I assume that despite your casual mention, you’ve done a thorough analysis of the history of the Hero of the Faith Wars?”

The one who’d been identified as the youngest sister smiled faintly. MishAH said, “I have, but this time I’m more interested in the connections I’m seeing here.”

“Such as?” Paolo said. They all looked at him as if he were a bug on a pin. He smiled, “You’re the ones that wanted to talk to me and suspect me of masterminding a Martian revolution. But what you’re saying is news to me. But pretend I’m lying and already know this and am secretly trying to get you to tell me what you know.”

MishAH studied him, glanced to DaneelAH who pursed his lips and nodded. She said, “I’ll tell you that Natan Wallack’s survival would alleviate certain tensions in the pattern of his life and that there are both enough certainties and questions to make me think he might be here. That being said, his involvement with you would make sense as well. Also, he doesn’t use the name he got during the Faith Wars. He goes by Stepan Izmaylova…”

She paused, watching him as if she expected a strong reaction. Paulo shrugged, “I’ve never met anyone by that name.”

HanAH exclaimed, “You must have! You were in Burroughs! That’s where Stepan works. He’s a religious preacher and liberal activist on The Rim! We just came from there!” Paolo shrugged. HanAH stopped then scowling, said, “You aren’t part of the Free Martians?”

“I don’t know anything about them except what I’ve heard on the news. I don’t have anything to do with politics on Mars. I’m…I guess you’d say I was an apostle of Jesus Christ.”

“Well, Stepan knows about you,” said MishAH with a glance at her brothers, “At least he will soon.” She looked back at Paolo. “He’s found a piece of ancient technology that never belonged to Humans – of any sort.” Paolo seemed unconcerned and waved away her words. She added, “There’s also a woman, the Consort of the Mayor of Opportunity who is a well-known sympathizer of Christian beliefs. Her father has been classified as a radical. There’s evidence to suggest that the Mayor himself knows about her connection to her father.”
Her brother looked up from the marsbug’s computer screen and said, “He does, and in a public statement he made shortly after he took her to the Pylon, he mentions that while some may find her support of such radical religiosity repugnant, he does not believe that she, herself is a christian and therefore sanctions against christians, molesters, jews, rapists, buddhists, murderers, muslims, thieves, hindu, embezzlers, and…” always the drama king when he suited him, he paused for effect, then said softly, “us.”

DaneelAH looked at Paolo, “We think you’re manipulating all of these pieces. The fact is that you may actually have our best interests at hand. All of us in the marsbug – including the Artificial Intelligence that runs it – are on the same list of proscribed entities legally included in the term ‘non-human’?”

AzAH spoke finally, “I cannot go so far as to say that we should make common cause with you, but you do seem to have similar goals as we do.”

DaneelAH looked at Paolo and said, “I’ve been reading the file of holy books the Dalai Lama of Mars gave us.” AzAH raised a deep purple eyebrow. He sniffed, “They are instructive if for no other reason than to give insight into the reason Mars outlawed all forms of devotion but to Humanity…”

AzAH added, “Which notably does not include us.”

DaneelAH said, “I don’t have any sympathy for religion, per se. I do object to the exclusion of any group merely because someone has decided to exclude it.”

She made a face, “That doesn’t fit into the pattern.” Her brother opened his mouth, so she held up her hand, adding, “Yet. This Paolo Marcillon seems to be manipulating us; but his involvement with the Free Martians and Natan is by no means clear right now. There might also be other players involved.”

HanAH shook his head and dropped into an open seat. “Great! Now you’ve just implicated all Martians – both Natural and Artificial – in a conspiracy. Might a well...”

“It’s not that complicated,” MishAH cut off his rant. “I’ve seen other things stirring on this rusty pinball.” DaneelAH sat as well, looking up at her with interest. He couldn’t remember the last time she’d turned her considerable skills to a problem outside of agriculture, population studies, and local politics. She smiled at him, shot a superior look at her other brother and said, “There’s something going on in Opportunity.”

Paolo looked thoughtful then said, “I’d probably go back to Burroughs just to meet your friend Stepan; maybe take a side trip to Opportunity.” He leaned forward suddenly and all four vatmates leaned away as he said, “Except that I’m headed for Cydonia – because I’ve found more evidence that your friend Stepan seems to have added to. There were aliens on Mars long ago, when the North was still covered by an ocean, and I think they may be a key to a Martian reformation.”


No comments: