May 21, 2019

IDEAS ON TUESDAYS 400


Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc.) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.

H Trope: Demonic Possession, Police Work (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DemonicPossession)                  
Adding a Dash Of Humor: A little lightness never hurt anyone…(It worked for Rebecca Roanhorse’s novel, TRAIL OF LIGHTNING. I loved this book and eagerly await reading the next one, STORM OF LOCUSTS, due out this summer!)

Beck Wagamese stared up at the castle on the crag. Lightning flashed through the sky behind it. She sighed.

Beside her, Xavier Zhuk whispered, “What?”

“This is too much of a cliché,” Beck gestured at the set.

“What is?”

“The setting. The country –”

“What’s wrong with being in the Ultra Silvam?” Xavier snorted. Beck knew he was rolling his eyes. “What is wrong with you?”

“You don’t think it’s weird,” she said, “that a couple of American demon cops are assigned to investigate the disappearance of a Midwestern scientist in the Transylvanian Alps where neo-Nazis have set up quantum energy experiments in the basement of an ancient castle?” She snorted, adding, “It probably belonged to Baron von Frankenstein.”

He almost laughed, but that was what he was looking for; he wanted to distract her from the investigation. There were not only international connections, but there was a substantial interplanetary investment by the Confederation of Asteroid Duchys – the CAD. He said, keeping his tone conversational, despite the rain dripping from his poncho visor, “Frankenstein was Austrian and Dracula was a Romanian lord who lived in a castle in the Transylvanian Mountains.”

“What’s your point?” Beck said, adding, “Oh, and we’re both Apparated Demons. It’s like this a 1930s monster movie waiting to happen.”

He knew what she was hoping he’d do: make a joke or tell her to shut up. Better yet, if he used his usual epithet to shut him up, “Go to hell,” that would just feed into her dark humor. Instead, he said “I love the old movies! My favorite was, ‘I Was A Teenage Werewolf.” He turned to her, fluttering his nearly invisible, blonde eyelashes. “Do you think so?”

She shook his head, muttering, “You’re weird.”

A bolt of lightning clashed the sky, as the rain abruptly turned to snow. “Great. Now we’ll be trapped in the Alps during a blizzard. And I forgot…” his words died in his mouth as the castle began to glow. “What’s going on?” He looked at his partner, “You’re the one who was majoring in quantum physics before you got possessed. What are they doing?” She used language very appropriate for a cop, but inappropriate for a woman he’d never heard use those words. He said, “I take it you know what’s going on?”

“Opening a gateway,” she said as she stood, making complicated movements with her hands, sometimes with fingers crooked, others with fingers rigid. She was muttering as well.

He said, “I didn’t know you could speak Russian. You should have told me! I have some great jokes…”

A ghostly firearm apparated into the air above her waiting hands. She looked down at him and said, “I think we just jumped out of frying pan of police work and into the fire of Doomsday Weapons.” She lifted her chin, “I suggest you conjure a uranium 238 explosive slug thrower. You can distract the kidnappers with that while I punch a hole into Heaven with the transdimensional field generator.”

He nodded, stood up and began the incantations they’d need.

Names: Hebrew, Ojibwe; ♂ Spain, Russia          

No comments: