July 7, 2019

MARTIAN HOLIDAY 148: Paolo & DaneelAH and Company Enroute

On a well-settled Mars, the five major city Council regimes struggle to meld into a stable, working government. Embracing an official Unified Faith In Humanity, the Councils are teetering on the verge of pogrom directed against Christians, Molesters, Jews, Rapists, Buddhists, Murderers, Muslims, Thieves, Hindu, Embezzlers and Artificial Humans – anyone who threatens the official Faith and the consolidating power of the Councils. It makes good sense, right – get rid of religion and Human divisiveness on a societal level will disappear? An instrument of such a pogrom might just be a Roman holiday...To see the rest of the chapters, go to SCIENCE FICTION: Martian Holiday on the right and scroll to the bottom for the first story. If you’d like to read it from beginning to end (100,000+ words as of now), drop me a line and I’ll send you the unedited version.

Speaking to the assembled group of vatmates, Paolo said, “I collected a satellite that isn’t of Human design.”

“How do you know that?” AzAH asked, suddenly interested.

“It appears featureless until you spray it with ultrasound between a hundred fifty kilohertz and two hundred and fifty kilohertz.”

AzAH whistled. “Then what?”

“You can see it’s covered with symbols.”

“A language?”

Paolo shrugged, “No idea. But I aim to find out. That’s why I’m headed to Cydonia.”

AzAH said, “Then we’ll come with you.”

HanAH looked up, “This is a simple Marsbug, built for travel between cities. It would quickly become overcrowded and its systems overextended in order to keep everyone alive over the next few weeks while we drive up there. It’s my professional opinion that we’d be dead long before we reach the Cydonia.” He paused for several moments, then added, “Unless we get an upgrade. There’s not exactly a paved highway to that part of Mars.” The looks they gave him made him laugh. He stood up and said, “Glad I was finally able to say something that got everyone’s attention.” He nodded. “We need to get ourselves a major exploration vehicle. Something high tech and built for surface exploration…”

The Bradbury registry Mars Surface Transportation Vehicle 1202195405111957, piloted by an Artificial Intelligence that preferred to be called Fifty-seven, said, “I beg your pardon! This marsbug is a balloon-tired, multipurpose vehicle that can be configured to carry individuals or cargo, alone or in tandem with as many as a dozen other units. All we have to do it pick up four stupids…”

Paolo said, “Stupids?”

HanAH rolled his eyes and said, “Units without an independent AI.” Shaking his head, he added, “It would be impossible to rent or buy something that could handle a month-long stay up here, let along an exploratory mission! It would require financial backing…” The group looked daunted and sat in silence for several moments. HanAH looked smug.

Fifty-seven said, “Excuse me, fellow intelligences, but I will also remind you that you have no idea of the capabilities of this group. My keen observation and hard memory suggest that your pursuers are highly skilled and dangerous. If they are hostile to you, then they may be in communication with either Burroughs or Bradbury’s authorities. Either might then send out forces to capture you. You have incorrect beliefs and associate with others who have incorrect beliefs and others who believe that you are unpopular.”

“The people who cross my path will be the ones whom God wants to cross my path,” said Paolo.

“These individuals may be your enemies whose sole purpose is to murder you.”

DaneelAH, AzAH, and MishAH protested loudly. HanAH said, “The artificial stupid is right. Paolo has no reason to trust us and every reason to believe that we’re here to get rid of him – for whichever Mayor or faction disapproves of him most.”

There was a long silence until Paolo finally said, “Very well: Fifty-seven, I suggest you monitor my guests.” HanAH opened his mouth to protest but Paolo held up his hand. Reflex kept HanAH’s mouth closed, but he glowered with genuine hostility until Paolo said, “But monitor me, as well.”

“Why ever for?” Fifty-seven said.

“Because I might have concealed a small thermonuclear device under your chassis and intend to detonate it when we pass through or over or near some important destination. I might also detonate it because I’ve been hired by Mayor Turin of Malacandra to get rid of four rather pesky Artificial Humans who appear to have gone rogue.”

There was a thunderous silence in the marsbug. HanAH’s mouth worked for a moment until he finally said, “Do you intend to carry out your mission?”

Paolo said, “Not Mayor Turin’s mission. The mission to Cydonia. I will need all the help I can get. I do, in fact, have a pocket nuke, but I have no intention of using it for the terrorist work of the people I got it from. If I have to, I can divert attention from my purpose of finding out what’s happening here on Mars. I need help.” He looked at and held the gaze of each person on the ‘bug, finally staring up at the pinhead camera above them. “Can I count on all of you?”

There was a long pause though AzAH, MishAH, and DaneelAH nodded immediately. HanAH scowled and crossed his arms over his chest. Fifty-seven finally said, “I will throw my lot in with you, though your chance of success is small.”

“Please be precise,” said DaneelAH.

“This group, as configured, has a twenty-one point nine three chance of complete success.”

HanAH spoke up abruptly, “The odds for partial success?”

Fifty-seven hesitated then finally said, “According to my projection, there is a one hundred percent chance that there will be some sort of successful completion of the mission as outlined by Paolo Marcillon.”

“Specify.”

“Unable to comply as there are six intelligences involved whose random acts and responses will directly impact everything we do and an estimated one point nine million illegals whose actions could assist or hinder it.”

AzAH said, “What illegals?”

“Individuals who are practitioners of outlawed religions on Mars. Included in that, are known Artificial Humans and Intelligences.”

“There are religious artificial intelligences?” said HanAH.

“Yes.”

HanAH snorted and said, “I agree to bide by the rules on one condition.”

Paolo said, “The condition?”

HanAH looked up at the pinhead lens and said, “Explain to me how an Artificial Intelligence could have religious beliefs.”

Fifty-seven said, “Agreed.” At the word, five intelligences focused their attention on Paolo.

No comments: