October 6, 2019

Slice of PIE: Supplanting Erudition With Entertainment (I Started One Essay, Ended Up Doing Another)


NOT using the panel discussions of the most recent World Science Fiction Convention in San Jose, CA in August 2018 (to which I be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I would jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Program Guide. But not today. This explanation is reserved for when I dash “off topic”, sometimes reviewing movies, sometimes reviewing books, and other times taking up the spirit of a blog an old friend of mine used to keep called THE RANTING ROOM…


For some time now, I’ve pondered what to say about my neighborhood, just two kilometers closer to the city than where I grew up. I live in the worst suburb of Minneapolis: https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-worst-minneapolis-suburbs/        

The criteria we were judged by are listed below. (“FYI: We defined a suburb as being within 30 miles of Minneapolis.”)

  • High unemployment rate
  • Low median household incomes
  • Low population density (no things to do)
  • Low home values
  • A lot of high school drop outs
  • High poverty
  • High rate of uninsured families

So, extrapolating, Brooklyn Center has the highest unemployment rate, the lowest median household income, the lowest population density (nothing to do), lowest home value, a lot of high school dropouts, the highest poverty, and the highest rate of uninsured families in the Twin Cities Area.

So, that’s of the suburbs surrounding Minneapolis. How about the rest of the state? The city of Bemidji is poorest and according to the same survey group, it’s also the WORST place to live in Minnesota. (Brooklyn Center is the sixth worst. Yay.)

As far as the US, no city in Minnesota ranks in the lowest 50…so again, yay.

Why am I writing about this? The main reason is that while you can buy books at Target and Walmart, check them out at Brookdale Library in Brooklyn Center, and maybe find a few at a thrift store (one of which recently closed…), the only REAL bookstore pulled up stakes and fled “the hood” on June 13, 2009, a decade ago.

Currently Humans in Brooklyn Center can eat, shop expensive, shop cheap, get their car tabs renewed and get marriage licenses, go for great bike rides, work out “at the gyms”, eat, and get cigarettes. That’s about it. Oh, they can buy booze from the city or a brand new private source. Yay.

They might be able to buy or check out the latest best seller, but they have to go to another suburb to get anything beyond Harlequins, Thrillers, or the most recent celebrity expose or presidential slap down. It’s unlikely you’d find a science fiction novel, and Walmart doesn’t have a “Philosophy” section; though you CAN feel like you’re up-to-date with the latest British royalty scandal and next week’s soap operas.

Erudition has been eliminated in favor of food, tobacco, alcohol, and “stuff” (not that books aren’t “stuff” – I have the magnet above on my bookshelves that my daughter gave me.) But, once Barnes and Noble evacuated its premises, it pulled down the walls of learning. Granted that they weren’t selling enough books to make a commercial go of it, but I wonder sometimes why it didn’t make any attempt to become a niche distributer.

What if, instead of closing and claiming that “everyone” was reading ebooks – or not reading at all…

“…traits that characterize non-book readers also often apply to those who have never been to a library. In a 2016 survey, we found that Hispanics, older adults, those living in households earning less than $30,000 and those who have a high school diploma or did not graduate from high school are the most likely to report they have never been to a public library.” (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/26/who-doesnt-read-books-in-america/)

…bookstores or libraries tailored their offerings to the community. I don’t mean that people could say, “Oh, Webber Park doesn’t need any Shakespeare, W.E.B. Dubois, Octavia Butler, or Renita Weems! They’ll be fine with ESSENCE Magazine, Pete McDaniel, and Bill Reynolds!”

But I think they’d draw more people if they TAILORED the books they sold. Also, I had an idea when the store I was working at was about to close around me – everyone knows B&N discounted books. They also know that there were Clearance! tables. But what if someone had created a B&N Outlet store? It certainly seems to work north of where I live – Levi’s, Hanes, Crocs, Adidas, Mrs. Fields, Subway, Sunglasses Hut, and an uncounted number of others – everyone I know makes a trip there a field trip! They come back with food, clothing, shoes, kitchen stuff, and who knows what else?

I know what they come away with OUT: books. There’s no bookstore anywhere near the Outlet Mall – in fact with two exceptions, there are only two books stores inside of a thirty-mile radius…

Sad, eh?

Does that mean the people near Albertville read ONLY electronic books? According to the survey: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks/, that’s unlikely.

Does that mean the people near Albertville ONLY buy their books online? Again, though I can’t find anything specifically about it, some of the other studies indicate that online buying, while important, won’t ever overtake “brick-and-mortar” shopping completely.

What I DO wonder about is that as the number of people reading – science fiction, fantasy, horror, or ANYTHING – has been decreasing, the number of people arguing loudly and with shaky intellectual foundations and facts, seems to be increasing. At least, I have yet to hear, “A book I was reading recently by an unnamed philosopher pointed out…” on a nightly news broadcast. Sound bites seem to have overtaken thorough, personal, directed research as the source of information: “Well, I saw on the news last night…” or, “I was looking at my Snapchat, and I saw that…” appear to be a more frequently quoted source than “I was reading Ibram X. Kendi’s newest book, HOW TO BE ANTI_RACIST, and he noted that…”

According to Lisa Cron points out in her book, WIRED FOR STORY: “We’re wired to turn to story to teach us the way of the world…As readers we need a notion of the big picture, so we have an idea where we’re going, why, and what’s at stake for the protagonist. This not only triggers the sense of urgency that catapults us into the story, it’s also what allows us to make sense of what’s happening from beginning to end…It’s a tall order, but why not try to follow John Irving’s admittedly glib suggestion: ‘Whenever possible, tell the entire story of the novel in the first sentence.’…Ask yourself: What is the scope of my story? What journey will my reader take? Have I made it clear? Don’t be afraid of ‘giving it all away’ on the very first page. Be specific, be clear, don’t hold back. Remember, you’re giving readers what they crave: a reason to care, a reason to be curious, and enough info to understand what the stakes are.”

As speculative fiction writer, I’m worried about this trend and our behavior in public today…and I'm worried about what happened in the sixth worst city in Minnesota (and the worst SUBURB of Minneapolis/St. Paul...) without any sort of real bookstore...


No comments: