October 14, 2017

MARTIAN HOLIDAY 112: Aster of Opportunity

On a well-settled Mars, the five major city Council regimes struggle to meld into a stable, working government. Embracing an official Unified Faith In Humanity, the Councils are teetering on the verge of pogrom directed against Christians, Molesters , Jews, Rapists, Buddhists, Murderers, Muslims, Thieves, Hindu, Embezzlers and Artificial Humans – anyone who threatens the official Faith and the consolidating power of the Councils. It makes good sense, right – get rid of religion and Human divisiveness on a societal level will disappear? An instrument of such a pogrom might just be a Roman holiday...To see the rest of the chapters and I’m sorry, but a number of them got deleted from the blog – go to SCIENCE FICTION: Martian Holiday on the right and scroll to the bottom for the first story. If you’d like to read it from beginning to end (70,000+ words as of now), drop me a line and I’ll send you the unedited version.

“You probably have a tracker on you!”

Aster Theilen shook her head, “Dad, please give FardusAH some credit.”

“Who’s that?” said Abedne Halle-Theilen.

“She’s a friend of mine.”

“How did you meet her?”

Aster frowned, then said, “She’s one of the Artificial Human who serves the Mayor. She knows I want to use my position to change Martian society. I’m sure anything the Mayor put on my to track my whereabouts – and I don’t think it’s come to that yet – she would have neutralized or redirected…”

“It’s not the Mayor I’m worried about, Aster. It’s vo’Maddux…”

A woman’s voice in the darkness said, “And you’d be correct to worry about just that, Madame Consort. Entirely and completely correct…”

Aster and her father spun in different directions and ran out of the tunnel junction into two of the three corridors what didn’t appear on the map. Aster shot a glance over her shoulder. There were no lights and she didn’t hear anything behind her. Only the voice and only the one time. She did, however, know vo’Maddux. She ran and didn’t stop until she had a stitch in her side. Finally, chest heaving as she gasped for air, she stopped to lean against a wall she could only feel in the stygian darkness.

The same woman spoke again, low-pitched, threatening, “These tunnels may be dark to you, Madame Consort, but there are those who can see in them as if it were only twilight instead of cave-dark. Others could see you glowing as if you were a lantern because they have genetically engineered eyes enhanced to see into the infrared.” She paused, “I am one of those.”

“You can’t do anything to me vo’Maddux. Even you can see that the Mayor would suspect you if I disappear.” Aster kept her voice level, calm, as if she were speaking to FardusAH. “He’s never trusted you.”

She heard the shrug in a faint rustle of fabric. “I don’t want his trust. I want his job.”

Aster shook her head. “That’s not how it works, Dear.” She used the diminutive on purpose. vo’Maddux had a well-known temper, goaded by certain people with ease. “Besides if you can see me, then you must have genetic adaptations. What makes you different from any other Artificial Human?”

“I’m not Artificial!” the woman shouted, then cleared her throat. “My gene scan will show that I’m almost seventy-four percent Original DNA Human.”

“Hmmm. Not as high a percentage as I am, but I suppose that’s adequate. It certainly keeps you in a respected job.”

She didn’t speak for some time. When she did, her voice was very low, “I may have underestimated you, Dear.” Aster pursed her lips. Her own hearing, while not genetically enhanced, had always been superb. From movements, breathing, and the location of the woman’s voice, she was certain to within centimeters of where she was; where her throat would be. vo’Maddux finally spoke, “I won’t do so any more. Your career in the Mayor’s office…”

Aster cut her off, “…was not anything I ever cared for. You would have it if I could give it away.” She paused, waiting for the other woman opened her mouth before she cut her off, “But I’m the one who has it and you won’t get rid of me as easily as you got rid of the other Consorts.”

There was a long pause, the vo’Maddux said, “Don’t make the mistake I just made.”

Aster hummed and waited for the sound of receding footsteps, the followed after her.


No comments: