April 5, 2011

Ideas On Tuesday 7: The Most Important Thing...

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.

If you’ve been reading my posts and the banner above, you know that my wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer. So my mind is there and so is today’s idea. It’s prompted by a conversation my daughter had with a classmate at college:

Take this website, http://www.breastcancerride.org/site/PageServer, add a young woman, 16, who has been diagnosed with a breast lump – and then stir in the fact that she’s from an alternate time line in which physics is more advanced, but medicine MUCH LESS SO. With her family, they are exploring and assessing OUR time line. In her original world, breast cancer is a death sentence, demanding ritual suicide. Does she follow the custom – or defy it in this time line?

No comments: