August 9, 2011

IDEAS ON TUESDAY #24: ORDINARY Super Powers...

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.

SF Trope: super powers

Current Event: http://blastr.com/2011/02/6-ordinary-real-people-wh.php

This is NOT going to take a lot of thought. So, I’m going to put a twist on this and then a restriction!

First of all the main character of any story that comes from this has to LOATHE themselves. They have to really believe that they are worthless meat-sacks. (The Bug from MEN IN BLACK I – http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/m/men-in-black-script-transcript.html)

Secondly, the super power has to be used in secret and has to result in something GOOD happening. It also has to happen to a teen. Final restriction – don’t rewrite or recreate in any way The X-Men or Dr. Xavier’s Academy for “gifted teens”. They have to be alone, deal alone and HELP alone. No fanfare, no spandex costumes and NO “best friends who just happens to be the son/daughter of a super hero or some other downtrodden group who can help overcome the sense of loneliness by introducing them to a small/huge/select group of humans/aliens/human-aliens who are “just like them”.

ALONE.

Capisce?

Image: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/irynarasko/irynarasko1106/irynarasko110600074/9803377-sad-exhausted-teenage-girl-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

No comments: