October 27, 2013

WRITING ADVICE: Julie Czerneda’s Writing Workshop! #5 – The Expert Witness



In 2005, whilst perusing the shelves at the Hennepin County Public Library, I stumbled across CHANGING VISION by Julie Czerneda (say it: chur-nay-dah), an author I'd never heard of, and was intrigued by the aliens on the cover by artist Luis Royo. It didn’t matter that the book was the second in a series, the cover entranced me and so I read. The book was spectacular, I read others, and fell entirely in love with another series of hers called SPECIES IMPERATIVE for its fascinating aliens and superior characterization. A teacher deeply at heart, Julie Czerneda shares ideas and methodology wherever she goes. On her website, http://www.czerneda.com/classroom/classroom.html she shares ideas for writers. I want to share what kind of impact her ideas have had on my own writing.  They are used with the author’s permission.

“The expert witness is someone who understands and expresses the science ideas. It

could be the narrator, the protagonist, or anyone. But the reader should find the

information source credible.”

This is a concept I’d never heard of before reading Julie Czerneda’s advice – and yet it’s someone I’d included in every story I’ve ever written. Unlike character building, finding an expert witness has worked out well for me.

In my only real ANALOG story, “A Pig Tale” (you can read it here: http://theworkandworksheetsofguystewart.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-pig-tale-june-2000-analog-science.html), my main character serves as both the protagonist and the expert witness. She’s the one taking action to meet her needs in the story, but she’s also the expert on the Alzheimer’s drug she uses to change her father’s memories, deflecting them away from his attempted suicide.

In another story of mine, the job of expert witness is split between two characters. If you would like to read the story before I comment, you can see “Invoking Fire” here: http://www.perihelionsf.com/1306/fiction_6.htm before continuing on. By the way, that’s what they call a “spoiler alert”!

At any rate, the main character is Na’Rodney, a young adult growing up in a post-petroleum, NON-apocalyptic, NON-teenager-hating future. His great-uncle has just passed away, and authorities have come to claim his cousin, Payne. Payne is a victim of Childhood Disintegrative Disorder and is kidnapped. Na’Rodney reluctantly enlists the help of the “housemaid”, Angelique – who forms the second half of the expert witness.

To Na’Rodney’s dismay, it turns out that his great-uncle, former president of InterPol (which is a very different organization in this future than it is in our present), has been involved with the lives of several young adults. Think of him as a “non-psychic Professor Xavier”. He and Angelique – and eventually reunited with Payne – are on a sort of quest…only in reverse.

They will never again see Na’Rodney’s great-uncle as his body was immolated in the burning of their home and immense paper book library, but between the two of them, they form “the expert witness” in this story.

In another published example, my most recent “kid’s SF” story, “The Penguin Whisperer” (CRICKET Magazine, January 2013), I again employ the technique of creating a two-part expert witness.  A snarky girl and a shy boy join their two areas of expertise to survive an accident aboard a space station (An aside regarding character. I seem to have a fondness for snarky characters. I know I’m not snarky – I wonder where I get that fondness comes from? It’s certainly the type of character in the stories I’ve had published…)

Julie Czerneda utilizes the “doubled characters equals expert witness” technique in at least two of her series. In SPECIES IMPERATIVE, Mackenzie Connor is the heart of the story as well as an expert in salmon migration. But it’s the acerbic and mysterious Emily who completes Mac’s expertise.

She does something similar in THE TRADE PACT set. Sira is the heart of the story and has a very specific skill set. Morgan has another, wider set. Together, they form a powerful expert witness.

Fascinating – my best work appears to be set up this way. A quick dash through my file of dead stories reveals that the ones that didn’t work had a single expert witness. Of course, the single expert witness as the main character translates into exactly one thing  and that is a violation of one of the rules of character I’ve been learning: “The character has to be normal in the sense that they make mistakes, they make smart decisions, and they wonder if what they did was a mistake or a smart decision.”

Putting all the expertise into one character makes them a smarty-pants, and I can’t begin to tell you how much a loathe smarty-pants people in real life.

OK – lesson learned. No more combining viewpoint character with the expert witness. When I do that I make someone I’d hate as well as making someone that editors apparently hate, too!

No comments: