July 14, 2015

IDEAS ON TUESDAYS 215


http://media.techeblog.com/images/the-ark.jpg
Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.


Ana Paula Ravlić peered around the corner of the crumbling building, then stepped back and shook her head.

Xyriel Jayasuriya whispered, “What? Did they get away?”

“No. They’re there.”

“What is it then?”

She sighed, pulling the stunner from her chest holster, “I just thought when we were recruited to do undercover surveillance we’d be doing something important.”

Xyriel barely managed to suppress a snort of laughter. He whispered, “What, making sure the fabulously powerful are supplied with wine and coffee isn’t your idea of an important...”

Her elbow to his solar plexus drove the wind out of the rest of his obnoxious comment. “Shut up...” She looked around the corner again. “If we don’t move in a minute, we’re going to lose them.”

He took a deep breath, then managed to say, “I wasn’t done...”

“Shut up and get ready,” she said. He was dressed like an average teenager in a post-ANTHROPOgenic Globally Warmed Society America. Beaten down by constant accusations of culpability by wealthy politicians and blameless scientists, he’d been drafted to pay for the (quite literal) sins of his father, a former climate scientist from the last century whose manner was so rude and condescending, that not only had he had a hand in destroying any sort of chance Humanity had had of pulling together to respond to global warming, he'd ignored his kids and took money from a PR machine no one had intended to build, but had appeared anyway. His dad had helped to drive the world economy into the ground. He'd ignored Xyriel...

Xyriel said, “If you’d quit angsting for a second, I have an idea. I think we might be able to do more than just steal grapes and coffee beans for the fat rats. There’s a group who are working to create conditions that will let us start over. It’s a sort of GMO Ark…”

Names: ♀ Uruguay, Croatia  ;   Philippines, Sri Lanka

No comments: