December 5, 2015

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION -- Chapter 36


On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. The Braiders accidentally created a resonance wave that will destroy the Milky Way and the only way to stop it is for the Yown’Hoo-Kiiote-Human Triads to build a physical wall. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society may produce the Membrane to stop the wave.

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Kashayla; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”

“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”

 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”

 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

There was another long silence and I said, “What are you – and how well did you know my uncle?” I shouted into the silence.

Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh (ret), whom I’d started calling Retired since this whole fleeing refugee thing started a few days ago, didn’t say anything. Finally, “I was a farm hand for your uncle when I was fourteen.”

“When?”

He grunted like I’d punched him. Then he said, “Seventy years ago.”

“He was alive – I mean, really alive – then, wasn’t he?”

“Yes.”

“Did you know there were aliens on his farm?”

“Not at first. Then one day when I was feeding the llamas,” from behind them, the Herd gave an angry snort all together. I was glad I wasn’t back there. Comparison to the Earth animals was a grave insult whose only response was severe trampling. Or an attempt to do so. Retired raised him voice, shouting them down, “I didn’t know any better! In fact, as far as we knew in the 1970s, we were alone in the universe!” The stamping in the back calmed down and he continued, “When I was feeding what I thought were llamas, I petted one. In the distance, I saw what I thought was a wolf come up over a rise. Then it stood up and pointed a stick at us. The Yown’Hoo I was petting snarled, reared and unsheathed its tentacles. The rest of the Herd did the same.

“The Kiiote dropped back to all fours and ran away. By then, your uncle, who was still a Human then, had run out. He leveled something that looked like a ray gun at the place where the Kiiote had been and fire. A missile streaked out and hit, but instead of exploding, a bubble of sound twanged. I covered my ears and fell over. I must have passed out, because when I came to, I was in your uncle’s house. Your aunt...”

“I didn’t know I had an aunt!” I exclaimed.

“You did.” He paused for a long time, then added, “My own mother had died of pneumonia not long after I was born, so your aunt was my favorite person after your uncle.” He fell into a silence as we bumped along a bare stretch of dirt and gravel. We passed something that had been technological once. Retired said abruptly, “Ethanol plant.”

Qap said, “That is not plant. Nor a tree. Nor anything else I recognize.”

Retired laughed, a strange sound coming from him. He said, “Humans had no luck developing fusion power and depended on fossil fuels to generate electricity. When the oil supply came to an end...”

He never got to finish his sentence because a flash of light followed by a thunderous roar made the truck swerve wildly. The autopilot took over and suddenly, Retired had a gun in his hands. The truck stopped and ahead of us, the ground was glowing green. He said, “I think our enemies may have found us.”

No comments: