January 13, 2019

Elements of Cron and Korea #5: Broken Characters Waiting To Be Smacked

I may  have mentioned that one of my goals is to increase my writing output, increase my publication rate, and increase the relevance of my writing. In my WRITING ADVICE column, I had started using an article my sister sent me by Lisa Cron. She has worked as a literary agent, TV producer, and story consultant for Warner Brothers, the William Morris Agency, and others. She is a frequent speaker at writers’ conferences, and a story coach for writers, educators, and journalists. I am going to fuse the advice from her book WIRED FOR STORY with my recent trip to South Korea. Why? I made a discovery there. You’ll hear more about it in the future as I work to integrate what I’m learning from the book, the startling things I found in South Korea, and try and alter how I write in order to create characters that people will care about, characters that will speak the Truth, and characters that will clearly illustrate what I’m writing about.

“Remember when Luke has to drop the bomb into the small vent on the Death Star? The story writer faces a similar challenge of penetrating the brain of the reader. This book gives the blueprints.” – David Eagleman

“The reader expects that the protagonist will be flawed and vulnerable – never, ever ‘perfect.’

“Story is about how the protagonist changes, internally – which means that your protagonist can’t be perfect when she steps onto the page, because then why would she need to change? Yet writers often fear that if the protagonist isn’t perfect – read: socially acceptable – she won’t be likeable.

“The irony is that what makes us likeable isn’t being perfect, what makes us likeable is the fact that we’re vulnerable, that we don’t always know the ‘right answer’ to everything. Vulnerability is endearing, and what allows us to relate to the protagonist; perfection is off putting. In fact, ‘perfect’ people tend to raise red flags with us. We know that no one is ever that perfect, so we begin to wonder, hmmm, what’s she hiding?

“Ask yourself: Where is my protagonist vulnerable? How is she reading the world wrong? What belief does she hold that the plot will force her to reconsider? What will she need to realize in order to change?”

So, anyone who reads this blog knows I’m a Christian. Christians writing in the speculative fiction field are odd ducks – though one of my favorite has a quote emblazoned above. Others are less obvious, but present nonetheless, so I know I’m not alone.

How does this relate to the idea that “what makes us likeable isn’t being perfect, what makes us likeable is the fact that we’re vulnerable”? I’m going to go on a tangent for a moment and recall a T-shirt I first saw forty-one years ago:
https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--h0rVJAZo--/t_Preview/b_rgb:191919,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1529744513/production/designs/2817939_0.jpg

While the meme comes up when you do a Google search, I’ve yet to see this T-shirt ON anyone any more. It’s like the concept of Christians being perfect has taken precedence. Admittedly, it’s not foisted off on us. There are Christians who ACT as if they are perfect and not forgiven. Though if you asked one about it, they would of course dissemble and say that of COURSE they’re not perfect. They just act that way.

“Christian” has also gotten tangled with “Conservative” and “Republican” so much that it seems that if you ARE a Christian, there’s either an expectation or a demand that you be a “conservative Republican”.

And yet…Jesus Himself was neither. His politics: “Render unto [the] Caesar that which is [the] Caesar’s, and unto God that which is God’s.” (Matt 22:21; Mark 12:17; Luke 20:25).

His actions regarding social justice (among other things): “…the Samaritan woman said to Him, ‘How is it that You, being a Jew, ask me for a drink since I am a Samaritan woman?’…His disciples came, and they were amazed that He had been speaking with a woman…” (John 4:7-38) and “…When the scribes of the Pharisees saw that He was eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they said to His disciples, ‘Why is He eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners?’” (Mark 2:16).

Note (as you read further), Jesus didn’t call them sinners. He DID call them sick. We’re all sick in some way. As a counselor in training, a requirement of the degree was to book a session or two with a professional counselor – to see what it was like to sit on “the other side of the couch”.

The perception of Christians being perfect – and therefore both unable to be characters in stories as well as people that cannot be talked to – has become a deeply embedded meme.

So – what can I do with that? I can have Christians in my stories who are far from perfect and deeply in need of healing. I can have Christians in my stories who are like me and most of the Christians I know – normal. Everyone has wounds and challenges. In fact, the school I work at has started looking at something called “the trauma informed school” – as in, we need to realize that SOME of our students have experienced trauma. I have known students whose parents have been murdered in front of them; who have seen executions in refugee camps; who have witnessed the rape of their mother. In fact, a study that began looking at why some people are INCREDIBLY fat ended up discovering that virtually all behaviors can be traced back to some kind of traumatic event (not ALL trauma has to be of the variety above).

It’s called ACES – the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. A simplified version can give therapists, teachers, and even parents of adoptive children, some sense of how to deal with behaviors a child (or coworker or pastor or teacher) exhibits. EVERYONE has an ACES score, even the most well-adjusted of us. In fact, taking it yourself (as in “Why I do what I do is no one else’s business!”) can even give you insight when looking for New Year’s Resolutions…

At any rate, Christians will ALSO score on ACES. We are NOT perfect, only forgiven…and perhaps that is the message I need to work on in my writing, as well as creating engaging characters who work through difficult situations with flawed personalities. Even the Bible mentions that Christians have to “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12). If that’s not a prescription for making an interesting character that creates plot (what the character DOES) and story (how the character REACTS), I don’t know what is.


No comments: