April 7, 2019

WRITING ADVICE: What Went RIGHT #44…With “Robotic Space Killer. Autonomous. Broke.” (Submitted 2 times with 0 revision, sold to ANALOG Science Fiction & Fact, May/June 2019)

In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, Lin Oliver speak at a convention hosted by the Minnesota Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Since then, I have shared (with their permission) and applied the writing wisdom of Lin Oliver, Jack McDevitt, Nathan Bransford, Mike Duran, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, SL Veihl, Bruce Bethke, and Julie Czerneda. Together they write in genres broad and deep, and have acted as agents, editors, publishers, columnists, and teachers. Since then, I figured I’ve got enough publications now that I can share some of the things I did “right” and I’m busy sharing that with you.

While I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it...neither do all of the professional writers above...someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. When I started this blog, that was NOT true, so I may have reached a point where my own advice is reasonably good. We shall see! Hemingway’s quote above will now remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales! As always, your comments are welcome! The story's on page 166!

My second-most-recent sale to ANALOG was more…lark…than serious after I saw this:

Speculation started soon after that, some positing that it was some sort of starship come to visit Humanity…https://www.wired.com/story/is-oumuamua-an-alien-spaceship-sure-except-no/

So I indulged in speculation as well.

But I had to take it farther than mere speculation. I had to create a REASON that this interstellar visitor (it IS confirmed to be that) wasn’t just a rock ejected from a distant star system that perchance flipped through this inhabited star system (it’s PROBABLY that); a system inhabited by intelligent life (please exclude the past century or so…) that has learned how to slip off its birth rock and shoot laser beams (and other electromagnetic radiation) into the space surrounding it.

What was it doing here? (I’m saving that for later!) This is a question we can’t answer IF it is a starship or space probe or something of that order.

I did find it interesting that the trajectory of Oumuamua had it arriving here from Solar north – which just so happens to be on the ecliptic of the Milky Way galaxy
(https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/motion-of-earth-and-sun-around-milky-way-eso_-10oct2016-jpg.107278/). In other words, our North Pole points more-or-less toward the Center of the Milky Way, so if an interstellar civilization wanted to make an “easy” path for, say, searching for extra[name of their planet]strial life, they’d aim straight along the ecliptic (the disk) of the galaxy…

So, we didn’t detect any electromagnetic emissions, or the glow from a decelerating star drive, or gravitational waves (which we JUST learned how to detect a few years ago, though Einstein predicted them, https://www.space.com/38471-gravitational-waves-neutron-star-crashes-discovery-explained.html), astronomers just found Oumuamua one day, and the games were afoot.

So, why IS Oumuamua here? Like I said, the object is interesting enough just as a chunk of rock thrown out of its home star system to fend for itself in the dark of space. As the article above points out, while it’s not going to usher in a revolution, it IS going to allow us to scratch off a few theories of planetary system formation from the list. You could probably just answer, “Because physics.”

But what if it’s NOT just a very interesting rock? We may never know. Oumuamua is traveling so fast that that after it passed through the Solar system, whipping around the sun and accelerating more, it’s already well on its way into interstellar space. (https://cdn.spacetelescope.org/archives/images/thumb700x/heic1813b.jpg)

But…the realm of science fiction is all about speculating on current science. So we have current science, stir in “What if Oumuamua really IS a starship from somewhere else?” That’s what people were semi-seriously speculating, so my speculations were neatly aligned with the fun. My explanation though, had to be different. I threw in a few elements, put the speculation and NASA data collection into an interesting (and intentionally diverse group – about as diverse as the near-urban high school I work at as a counselor) and then stirred the whole thing with a bit of conflict and a dash of humor.

I’d LOVE to tell you the story, but the whole thing was only seven hundred words long. I sent it to NATURE-Futures first for a couple of months of evaluation, where I got: “Thank you for submitting your story Robotic Space Killers, Autonomous. Broke to Futures. Although I enjoyed the story, I'm afraid that it didn't make it into my ‘yes’ pile this time around. Sorry to disappoint you. I nevertheless look forward to reading your next submission.”

Personalized rejections always mean that you had a near-miss. Without changing anything, I sent it to my favorite magazine in the whole world – ANALOG. After six months, they accepted it and it will be in the May/June 2019 issue.

So, what did I do right?
1) The idea was straight from current astronomy.
2) I had a cast of characters who were, to be honest, caricatures of real people.
3) There was conflict from the word “Go!”
4) There was lots of “Talk. Talk. Talk.”
5) I stayed with a brief script – one incident, one UNEXPECTED solution.

It was a long Probability Zero, which is a series of short-shorts ANALOG used to run regularly with that title. I’ve noticed that the magazine is running more flash fiction that they used to and that the PZs are gone. I’ve also taken to reading an issue straight through and have seen that the editor has minor themes, which is both helpful and UNhelpful for me. I can’t really write for the theme because they don’t know ahead of time what the theme will be, but it’s also freed me up in that I write what I have to “say” and then the editor can fit it in as each issue coalesces.

Last comment: I’ve also noted that certain types of SF are “getting the awards”. Aliens are disappearing and SF is drifting more toward the “near-future” rather than far space. Current Hugo Awards ( http://www.thehugoawards.org/2019/04/2019-hugo-award-1944-retro-hugo-award-finalists/) include titles like: “The Court Magician”, “The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society”, “The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington”, “The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat”, “A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies”. Four are out-and-out fantasies, one is a sort-of “dinosaur/alternate history…thing”, and one is about AIs.

No aliens. I wonder why? What’s wrong with aliens? Hmmm…I guess we’ll see. At any rate, I’m going to be continuing, “Robotic Space Killer. Autonomous. Broke.” I’ll keep you up to date!

No comments: