August 14, 2015

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION -- Chapter 32


http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4210658820_80f4ecc782.jpg
On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world.; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. The Braiders accidentally created a resonance wave that will destroy the Milky Way and the only way to stop it is for the Yown’Hoo-Kiiote-Human Triads to build a physical wall. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society may produce the Membrane to stop the wave.

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Kashayla; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”

“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”

 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”

 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

I took a deep breath, held it, and said, “I met a Kiiote when I was two years old.”

Retired’s look narrowed as he said, “You weren’t drafted into the Triad until you were five.”

I nodded slowly, turned my head and attended to my driving as a dark, heavy silence fell in the bakery truck’s cab. Finally Retired said, “You’re telling me your uncle was T984?”

“My parents told me his name was Tim Orwell.” That surprised a huff out of Retired. “I doubt if anyone else would get the joke.”

He snorted this time and finally said, “So not only are you in the North American Triad, your parents were involved with the Kiiote and the Yown’Hoo from the get go.”

“The ‘get go’?”

“It means ‘from the very beginning’ – it was slang that came from the African American Individualist and Civil Rights movements of the late Twentieth Century.” He paused while I drove on into the night. The headlights weren’t necessary with the holographic projection from the radar lighting up the windshield, but it still made me nervous. I felt like I was driving blind – though I admit it wasn’t much different from playing an imgame on the wall screen back at home.

Home. “You think the Dome is gone?” I said suddenly.

Retired didn’t say anything, so I thought he hadn’t heard or I hadn’t actually spoken out loud. We drove in silence for a while until he finally said, “It’s gone.”

For whatever reason, I’d known that. “What do we do now?”

“We were headed for the safe house, but it seems it, too was compromised. I can only think that the entire Triad program has a mole in it somewhere.”

“Someone’s been spying on us?”

“Probably.”

“I’m coming back to my question then – I don’t want to seem obsessive or nothing, but what are we going to do?”

Retired stopped talking. I risked a glance over at him and just about ran us off the road. “Pay attention!” he shouted.

“Then answer the question!” I shouted back. The door into the rear slid open a bit and ‘Shay stuck her head through.

“You two OK?”

Retired said, “The safe house we were headed for has been compromised. We’re going to have to keep going until we reach our next destination.”

“Where’s that?” ‘Shay said.

A Yown’Hoo tentacle slithered alongside the door and pulled it open more. “The Human Herd member asks a valid question, Soldier. Where do we go? For the sake of Herd, Pack, and Tribe.”

Retired looked over at me and said, “Did you ever hear the story of where you uncle came from?”

I shrugged and said, “I think Dad said he grew up on the farm.”

Retired snorted then said, “The biological uncle may have, but the one you met was an android. He came from the Kiiote.”

No comments: