January 14, 2018

POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAYS: Climate Change Rant Entangling Writing, The Vertical Village/Unity World, Christianity, and Our Place In The Universe

NOT using the panel discussions of the most recent World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki, Finland in August 2017 (to which I be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Program Guide. But not today. This explanation is reserved for when I dash “off topic”, sometimes reviewing movies, sometimes reviewing books, and other times taking up the spirit of a blog an old friend of mine used to keep called THE RANTING ROOM…

The title alone should get me more hits than I usually do, so I’ll get right to the point: I’m not denying Climate Change. Wooly mammoths in Texas and Xiphactinus fossils “from the Niobrara Chalk formation in western Kansas” are clear evidence that the climate has changed over time.

My rant is against the claim that Humans are the sole cause of climate change and that if we don’t stop doing…whatever, life on Earth, and the Human race in particular, will cease to exist.

I could get extremely snarky and point to the response of some Anthropogenic Global Warming advocates and their attacks on anyone who disagrees with them and reference the response to Alfred Wegener’s theory of continental drift. “David Attenborough, who attended [Cambridge University] in the second half of the 1940s, recounted an incident illustrating [the scientific community’s] lack of acceptance then: ‘I once asked one of my lecturers why he was not talking to us about continental drift and I was told, sneeringly, that if I could prove there was a force that could move continents, then he might think about it. The idea was moonshine, I was informed.’” At that time, most scientists believed that the science of earth movement was quite settled. I’d also like to note that each of the Climate Change Conferences must have left a carbon footprint, but I can’t seem to find that data.

I won’t get snarky, though.

What I will do is write very briefly about a universe I’m creating in which Humanity finishes its move to urban areas by instituting the Return To The Wild laws. In my universe, population is concentrated in 20000 mega-urban structures scattered over the face of the Earth, occupying places of many of today’s major cities. The climate rebounds from its warming period by dropping into a mini-ice age. Progress toward “the Singularity” continues apace. Not long after RTTW, Humans discover that We Are Not Alone and become a reluctant part of a union of sentients held together by their debt to each other…

At any rate, I’d like to propose one possible reason for the tenacity with which people who resist the idea that climate change is not the sole responsibility of Humanity. While I know some of these people, I don’t know all of them. My own belief is that Humanity has CONTRIBUTED to climate change, but so have other factors – some simply the cyclical nature of variations in Earth’s orbit and axial tilt, variations in solar activity, variations in volcanic activity, continental shifts, El NiƱo, and geologic CO2 release.

The belief that we are the sole cause comes from the announcement of the death of God (if it ever existed at all) and the possibility of belonging to something greater than the individual. Some people who have eliminated the idea of God have discovered that they have an unexpected (though minor) deficit in their lives. They have trouble with being part of “a country”, especially as countries have (at their very best) dark periods in their histories (yes, even Sweden, Nigeria, and Canada have created or supported policies or rulers and authorities in their histories that they would rather not highlight). They have trouble with being part of a scientific community (which despite claims to the contrary, doesn’t always agree on the science of ANYTHING, for example, the speed of light…)

They choose to believe in the power of Humanity (I won’t get snarky about the exclusion of the parts of Humanity they don’t like, like roughly half of the political structure of this and most other countries), and how, like the God of Old, their Humanity can do ANYTHING – their Humanity can Transcend its physicality, it can throw off the chains of institutional religion and believe in the purely “spiritual” part of its Humanity (if it wants to), it can change the genetics of Humanity and reserves to right to declare this part or that part of Humanity useful or useless. In order to be all powerful, Humanity must certainly be able to change the environment of an entire planet. It must be seen to not only be ruler of the planet, but the ACTIVE ruler. The only Humanity some people want to belong to is the Humanity that can at first accidentally change the Climate and then can, through force of will and application of Human-created technology, change it back to “the way it was”.

I believe that there is an aspect of the people of the Anthropogenic Global Warming community – and I believe that even though the currently useful phrase is “Climate Change”, the underlying belief is that Humanity is responsible for it ALL – that seeks to fill a void created when God was slaughtered in this post-modern, Singularity-welcoming, post-Christian era…again.

In my story, Earth has rebounded from our future Climate Maximum with a Little Ice Age…and while Humanity is powerful and can influence future events, it’s not All-Powerful.

That place still belongs to God.

Image: http://www.travelingkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Pic-08-Admiring-the-Xiphactinus-one-of-the-largest-bony-fish-ever-discovered.-570x380.jpg

No comments: