January 7, 2018

Slice of PIE: The Role of SECRETS In Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Etc…

Using the Programme Guide of the World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki Finland in August 2017 (to which I will be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Programme Guide. The link is provided below…

Role of Secrets in Speculative Fiction: Secrets are powerful things: secrets from a character’s past, secrets between characters, secret worlds, secret doorways, secret words, secret abilities. The mystery these secrets convey can increase tension and suspense, make a character more intriguing, suggest mood (for good or evil), create plot twists, complicate relationships between characters, alienate a character from others or from his society, change the course of a life... the list goes on.

J.A McLachlan, Author: a short story collection and two College textbooks on Professional Ethics, novels Walls of Wind, The Occasional Diamond Thief, and The Salarian Desert Game, another novel, mystery thrillers and short stories
Jennifer Udden, Literary Agent: with Barry Goldblatt Literary LLC, and represents SFF authors Emma Newman, Mur Lafferty, Mark Tiedemann, Ren Warom, Maurice Broaddus, WL Goodwater, and Ruth Vincent
Ian Sales, Speaker: author of Apollo Quartet; also 3 other books, two short stories; reviews books for Interzone.
Kim ten Tusscher, Author: five novels, known for her characters
J. Sharpe, Speaker: His novel Broken Memory was nominated for the Harland Awards for best novel; honorable mention for extraordinary originality; nominated for a Bastaard Fantasy Award; translated to English

Oddly enough, this past year has been an AWFUL years for selling my work.

I sold one story. Five published; one sold.

Ouch.

I know I can sell my work to professional markets, it’s just not consistent. I know I have something to say, but I can’t say it so that others catch my concern.

I started looking into how to make my concerns “catch fire”, so to speak. How do I speak so that others get excited about what I’m saying? How can I writer better so that others will read and go, “Jeez! That was important! Let me think about what he wrote!”

There are writers I return to time and again – I reread the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, the MILES VORKOSIGAN books, every Christmas, I reread “Easter Egg Hunt: A Christmas Story”; I often return to “Can These Bones Live?”

Why – and how can I write that way?

A hint in the article referenced below: Chuck Wendig makes the startling statement, “EVERY STORY IS A MYSTERY STORY”. He goes on to defend his thesis by saying, “All stories need unanswered questions. All stories demand mysteries to engage our desperate need to know. We flip the little obsessive dipswitches in the circuit boards of our reader’s mind by presenting enigmas and perplexities. Why is our lead character so damaged? What’s in the strange mirrored box? How will they escape the den of ninja grizzlies? Storytelling is in many ways the act of positing questions and then exploring the permutations of that question before finally giving in and providing an answer.”

I never knew that.

So, I’m writing a new story and I’m starting it with a mystery: What is the pile of intelligent alien cockroaches doing in the middle of the Voyageurs National Forest in the middle of the winter when the temperature is about to dip to forty below zero?

You know what? It has ME interested. I’d been working on another story which had seemed straightforward adventure and I was having a TERRIBLE time writing it. I couldn’t seem to get going on it. I kept going back to the beginning and trying again. Then I read this article, and instead of having the main character rescue the girl from a sewer and have her wake up and tell him who she was…I made her unconscious. He has to drag her to the Station veterinarian to wake her up. Then she won’t say who she is or what she’s doing. He doesn’t find out until the very end WHAT she is…and then he has to decide whether to turn her in or go with her after they murder a government cop together…

After twisting the story that way, it had me interested again.

I can’t say that mysteries are my favorite reading, just like I don’t much care for fantasy (unless my daughter recommends it or it’s written by one of my favorite authors) – however because I love some of my friends and family members enough to read the books that THEY like, I have taken on the works of Craig Johnson, William Kent Kruger, Tom Clancy and Agatha Christie and decided that while they’re not my cup of tea, I’d enjoyed them enough to return to their worlds on and off again.

So I’ve decided that I’d start throwing a little mystery into my writing…in fact, I just realized that the ONE story I had published this past year was a murder mystery! Also, I came to a gentlemen’s agreement with a publisher for my YA science fiction novel, HEIRS OF THE SHATTERED SPHERES: Emerald of Earth…which also has a mystery at its core.

There it is, then, as my son, who just finished “play programming” his crawling robot: proof of concept.

Any thoughts?


No comments: