November 15, 2018

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION: CHAPTER 96 Oscar Alone 3


On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. All three intelligences hover on the edge of extinction. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society might not only save all three – but become something not even they could predict. Something entirely new...

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Xiomara; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two, warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”
“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”
 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”
 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

Saint Clodoald, Minnesota, was the destination I’d been given. It would be thirty-five kilometers straight west. Retired, Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh who had been our harsh tutor and sensei had set me this mission. Me and the other Human in the Triad, Xiomara, were both black belts in taekwondo and as good as we could be as teenage Mixed Martial Artists; though the only ones we’d ever fought was each other.

I trusted Retired. I had to believe that he knew what he was doing when he sent me here.

I glanced at my chrono. It was still light up above, but at this time of year, it would remain so for only another hour. I wasn’t excited about floundering around in the dark, so I poked around, finding a backpack which I opened.

There was a Kiiote coldlight and I used that to root around in the bag – it was designed to be held in the mouth. I found a knife and a collapsible bottle as well as a small supply of dried food – it was edible by Humans, but tasted like sawdust and glue. I sighed. I wouldn’t be eating very well for a while. Of course, none of us had eaten very well since we left the Cities. We’d been running from whoever attacked the Triad headquarters, which set off some kind of Kiiote-Yown’Hoo skirmish, drawing Humans into the mess as well. Someone military is following us and they’d had no problem with blowing up the farm my ancestors grew up on.

By then, sunset was less than a half an hour away. I ran up to the surface and cracked the door.

Something rammed it, knocking me back, my head slamming against the wall…


When I woke up, I had no idea where I was.

A deep voice said, “Don’t move, stupid. I just got the bleeding to stop. What are you doing sneaking up from the underground? How’d you get down there? What did you come up here for? There’s a cold front moving in and it’s supposed to go down to fifteen below two nights from now. What’d you wanna do, die?”

I blinked because I couldn’t see straight. My vision kept shivering. I felt like I wanted to throw up but couldn’t. Then I realized my mouth tasted like I already had. “How hard did you hit me?” I finally managed. It wasn’t very clear, sort of mumbly, but it didn’t seem like I could annunciate.

“If you’re worried that it’s a concussion, it’s not. After I knocked you down, I stunned you.”

“Why?”

“Because you busted out of the tunnel and there’s not supposed to be anyone down there! I thought you were an invasion!”

“An invasion of one? How’s that possible?” My words were clearing up, but I had a huge headache. I closed my eyes again and laid back.

“It’s a stunner headache. It’s gonna get blindingly bad in a second.” The voice stopped talking as the headache made me feel like my head was in a vise. After a few minutes, the voice said, “Now it’s gonna fade to nothing.”

It did and I opened my eyes again and said, “How did you know that was going to happen?” I still couldn’t see anything, but suddenly realized that was because it was dark. “Why’s it dark?”

“I knocked you over and stunned you just before sunset. We’re in a hut near the airstrip.”

“Airstrip?”

“Yeah, used to be a small, commercial airport, but it died after the Yown’Hoo bombed most of the runways after the fighting heated up with the Kiiote and they were done pounding the Human armed forces to a bloody smear. They left one for some reason no one’s ever told me…”

“You sound like you’re the same age as me. How can you have known that? We weren’t even born yet.”

“You’re fifteen?”

“Yeah,” I said. Hiding stuff like that had never worked for me ‘cause I’m a terrible liar even when I’m well slept, well fed, and serious. I NEVER won at the game of poker Retired taught us. I couldn’t bluff. “I’m from the Cities.”

The voice grunted. “I heard it got bad there a couple weeks ago.”

“It did. They were trying to capture us, too.”

“Who are you?”

I let my head fall back, pretending to faint again. It wasn’t entirely an act though. I felt like I was gonna throw up.

The voice said, “I’m Nathaniel. Right now, you feel like you’re gonna barf. Hang on, it’ll pass in a few seconds; then there’ll be a second wave and you will barf – try to anyway. I don’t think you have anything left to throw up…” I followed his prescient information. When I was panting, laying back and feeling like I’d almost vomited up my intestines, he said, “OK. You should be able to sit up now.” I did. He turned on a flashlight, a dim one, and aimed it at his face, saying, “Nathaniel Wallace-Usorituen.”

“Your dad…”

“Actually, my mom was the pilot. Dad was just her mechanic. After she died in the aftermath of the invasion, Dad taught himself how to fly. Mom was always the one people talked about – Petrova Godly Usorituen, Russian-Nigerian fighter pilot.”

“You mom was Peter Wallace?”

“Yep.”

“I just figured they were gay.” Crinkling material made me thin Nathaniel shrugged.

“People think a lot of things. Nah, Mom and Dad weren’t gay; they were cis-hetero. Me, too, by the way, if that even matters.

"It doesn't," I said.

"Anyway, Dad’s sleeping. Why are you here?”

I took a deep breath, feeling better than I had since…well, since leaving Triad HQ… and said, “Retired Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh…” I didn’t get to talk anymore, because Nathaniel shot me with his stunner again.


No comments: