September 8, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle, Long Time Icon, Goes Home

Long-time beloved author and icon, Madeleine L'Engle went Home to be with her beloved husband, Hugh and son Bion. Her words will be truly missed. I am one of a blessed few who have a few words written to me personally several years ago.

In 1990, I wrote her a note telling her how much I loved her writing, how I planned on introducing my children to it (at that point, Josh was 2 and Mary not even born yet), and how she had inspired me to be a writer. She had these words for me:

"Dear Guy: Thank you so very much for a delightful letter. How kind and generous you are in response to my work. I'm grateful indeed if my books have given you encouragement to pursue writing. It can be a hard life but one full of joy and reward. I send you my very best wishes. Madeleine."

Six years later, I wrote a much longer letter, commenting at length on her (then) newest book, PENGUINS AND GOLDEN CALVES. I won't go into details about what I said, nor can I quote her at length because we "spoke" of many things. But in part, she replied, in a hand-written letter:

"Dear Guy, What an extraordinary & beautiful letter. Thank you for taking so much trouble...I wold never want anything I wrote to turn anyone away from the Bible, but TO the Bible for daily reading. I read mine morning & evening. It is THE book. But often the message is not the surface facts, but something God wants to tell us about ourselves...I try to write what God gives me to write. I try to listen to the Spirit. And of course, I do not do it as well as I should, but I do try, in revision after revision."

What a wonderful, loving, talented person.

She will be sorely and sadly -- and joyously missed when I remember that she has, indeed gone Home!

1 comment:

Joi said...

Madeline L'Engle's work was a mighty force for joy and goodness in my life. I read Winkle in Time when I was 11, and it impacted me at a very profound level. I went on to read most of her books (both fiction and non) and always found the grace, love, and beauty of God waiting there. There were times when her writings were one of few things that kept me holding on to faith. She introduced me to some of my favorite writers (like Dostoyevsky!) and helped me integrate my faith with the physical world through sacramental and incarnational living.

I will miss her very much.