April 20, 2008

WRITING ADVICE: Absolutely Basic Plot

For me to reach the end of my story, my bottom line with plot is the "O" word.

I know, I know, you're an organic writer and you have to write as the spirit moves you or the muse sings to you or when you're in the mood.

But most writers know that the Spirit blows where it will, the muse is fickle and "the mood" is sometimes as elusive as holiday cheer at 3:30 pm Christmas Eve.

WHEN these disasters occur, you need a back up plan. Somewhere, written down, you need your Outline with the basic plot of your story.

Donald Maass in WRITING THE BREAK OUT NOVEL (2001, Writers Digest Books), says that a plot must have five basic elements: a sympathetic character, a complex conflict, constant development, a main event or climax and a satisfactory ending.

While I'm sure some people skillfully allow plot to grow with naturally from one event to another, I'm not gifted in that way. I need an outline spread out in front of me to keep an eye on so that I'll safely reach my final destination: The End.

No comments: