November 3, 2015

IDEAS ON TUESDAYS 228 Them…Robots…


http://www.ctrobot.com/upLoad/product/month_1310/201310231539441552.jpg http://rack.0.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDE0LzAzLzIwLzljL1JPQk9ULjc5NTM4LmpwZwpwCXRodW1iCTk1MHg1MzQjCmUJanBn/f97b769a/e23/ROBOT.jpgEach Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them. ? z Z

SF Trope: Intelligent Robots

Current Event: This Arizona wildfire was predicted to go down in history as the Third Largest in that state. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43290922/ns/weather/ If it continues much longer, it may well go down as the second largest – maybe even the biggest one ever. They’ll bring in everything to stop it. Eventually, there will be robots – not humanoid ones like in I, Robot, but more like water, fire and chemical squirting tanks. Or possibly like the robots above. Of course, they’ll have to have a certain amount of autonomy. So what happens to them after the fire?

Couple of guys or girls are hiking in the mountains three or four years after a huge wildfire; maybe working on college degrees or just vacationing. They stumble onto some strange leavings and after poking around, discover a nest of these semi-intelligent robots who not only survived the fire, they’ve established a colony and they are making new copies of themselves…

Names: ;                                                

No comments: