September 17, 2017

POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY: Does Science Fiction or Fantasy PROMOTE The Boring Viewpoint Character?

Using the Programme Guide of the World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki Finland in August 2017 (to which I will be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Programme Guide. The link is provided below…

The Appeal of the Bland Protagonist: Many popular books and series feature a fairly bland protagonist. The panelist discuss why bland protagonists are popular, how they inform reader identification with the protagonist, and what they like and don't like about it! Also, is it difficult to write bland protagonists?

Kari Sperring: fantasy writer
Caroline Stevermer: fantasy (YA) writer
Robert Silverberg: Ah! Ah! Ah! What I would have given to meet this writer in person! I read his books when I was a KID! (As an adult, I found a copy of REVOLT ON ALPHA C with its “original” Scholastic Book Club cover…)
Angus Watson: fantasy writer

Is there a reason all of the participants in this group write fantasy? Is it an unconscious bias indicating that fantasy stories are more likely to have bland characters than science fiction stories are?

Hmmm…because the first SF character I thought of was Miles Vorkosigan (Lois McMaster Bujold’s SF Universe hero). He’s absolutely NOT bland and while I’m certain I can’t get into his head and “feel like” a well-born aristocratic dwarf…I love the character. Lemme think…I’ve been reading widely lately, so what about Ada Palmer’s Mycroft Canner? A serial torturer/murderer is hardly bland, though in TOO LIKE THE LIGHTNING, he is very bland.

I read a very old Star Trek novel – the main character is NOT bland there, either. Hmmm…Paul Atreides in DUNE? Not bland. Ah! I have one, Toshio Ishikarwa in STARTIDE RISING is bland; normal, and not at all sure of himself. Mackenzie Connor WANTS to be bland, a salmon biologist, but she is anything but. Nope, she doesn’t count. Lessa of PERN? Nope, she’s queen of the planet in all but title.

OK – let’s look at fantasy. I don’t read much (almost always under the direct supervision of my daughter!), but based on what I have read, let’s have a go at it. Starting with the obvious: Harry Potter. Bland? Yup, even though he lives under the stairs, he’s the teased, abused, dreary, weary, whiny kid who lives in all of us. The Pevensie Kids – same thing. Granted, they live during the London Blitz of WWII, but so did a lot of others who didn’t slip into a wardrobe to find a magical land.

Let’s get more serious: Thomas Covenant, anti-hero in Stephen R. Donaldson’s remarkable THE CHRONICLES OF THOMAS COVENANT, UNBELIEVER, other than the fact that he’s a leper, he’s basically a normal, jerk of a guy. Bilbo and Frodo Baggins? “Normal”, uh…hobbits… who are neither heroes nor great – and in fact, Frodo was so close to destroying Middle Earth that only the fact that his boring valet saved his life kept Frodo from blowing all the hard work they’d done up to that point. After that, my fantasy memory gets pretty sketchy – PERDIDO STREET STATION I read ten years ago; Jonathan Stroud’s BARTIMAEUS books were grand, you can hardly call a demon “bland”, but Nathaniel himself is unremarkable in his world.

So – what’s the takeaway here?

Couple of things – fantasy main characters are average Mayras and Miguels. Science fiction main characters are superhuman Katniss’ and Peetas.

Also, based on the current and continuing popularity of fantasy, the bland protagonist is the choice of Twenty-first Century men and women. The superhuman has mostly lost its appeal except in certain cases.

Master Silverberg mashed fantasy and science fiction together when he created the MAJIPOOR CHRONICLES – a huge planet colonized by numerous alien races and Humans…which has technology either so advanced it’s indistinguishable from magic, or medieval technology of castles, kings, and knights. However, as I reflect on it, the viewpoint character, Valentine is both a bland and a superhuman character. China MiĆ©ville does the same thing in PERDIDO STREET STATION – mixing fantasy and steampunk technology. Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin is a dull and boring scientist in the city of New Crobuzon…who also does magic.

Creating boring characters?

Easy peasy – because us writers as a group are pretty boring! So, if I want to write fantasy, I start with a boring person. If I write science fiction, I need a superhuman (a transhuman, I suppose).

Sheesh…this explains ALL KINDS OF TROUBLE I’VE BEEN HAVING LATELY! My SF protags have all been normal people, boring people…now I have to go back and look at what it is I’ve had published recently – but right off the bat, the main character in my most recent ANALOG story is a Mayan princess…


No comments: