October 27, 2019

Elements of Cron and Korea #11: Where Do I Go NOW??? With The Korean Solar Expansion

I may  have mentioned that one of my goals is to increase my writing output, increase my publication rate, and increase the relevance of my writing. In my WRITING ADVICE column, I had started using an article my sister sent me by Lisa Cron. She has worked as a literary agent, TV producer, and story consultant for Warner Brothers, the William Morris Agency, and others. She is a frequent speaker at writers’ conferences, and a story coach for writers, educators, and journalists. I am going to fuse the advice from her book WIRED FOR STORY with my recent trip to South Korea. Why? I made a discovery there. You’ll hear more about it in the future as I work to integrate what I’m learning from the book, the startling things I found in South Korea, and try and alter how I write in order to create characters that people will care about, characters that will speak the Truth, and characters that will clearly illustrate what I’m writing about.

“Remember when Luke has to drop the bomb into the small vent on the Death Star? The story writer faces a similar challenge of penetrating the brain of the reader. This book gives the blueprints.” – David Eagleman

OK – I haven’t written on this for a while, so I’m going to start speculating on a series of stories. I’m starting with a foundation from an essay I wrote on October 7, 2018:

1) South Koreans are “space crazy”. They have started their space program from the same “rock bottom” that the American space program started with.

2) As a rule, South Koreans love their history.

3) South Koreans are science and technology crazy.

4) South Koreans (as clearly as I could gather it), have flipped the American paradigm of a house being the dream home, and an apartment a “way station” on the way to a home. South Koreans have had to build vertically both because of the mountainous geography and the “soft” stone geology – mountains are “low” but cannot hold the foundation of any construction steady. The apartment is the Korean goal; homes are passe.

5) South Koreans are solidly rooted in a millennia-old culture.

6) Cheomsongmae is an ancient astronomical observatory that not only survived the southern advance of North Korea during the war, but is now a place Koreans visit. It has existed since roughly since 640 AD – about 1400 years.

7) South Korea is building at an incredible rate!

8) My son commented: “Koreans are aggressive drivers, but they’re not ANGRY drivers like Americans are.”

9) Ancient Korean “signature sticks” are now carved via a computer program.

10) A country with a population of 51 million (imagine the population of Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, and the northern half of Texas…the area colloquially as Tornado Alley) squeezed into the southern half of Minnesota...South Korea has few murders, rape is unusual, and children can pretty much safely walk several blocks through a major city to school.

In addition, after reading Lisa Cron’s book, I extracted 52 key ideas that I needed to incorporate into my writing. That many ideas would be very difficult to work with and sometimes the concepts overlapped, so I compressed and rewrote until I had condensed them into 23 key elements to guide me as I write a story:

ACTION PLAN
1)      Story is how a character reacts; to the plot which is what happens
2)      Grab reader, something is at stake on the first page
3)      WHY should they care?
4)      Every scene moves to the ANSWER and pacing is the time between moments of conflict
5)      Plot makes characters confront external & internal issues & CONFRONT THEIR INNER DEMONS
6)      Prose directly accesses character’s mind and what they want to happen
7)      Make us FEEL
8)     Character has ONE objective
9)      Start: character’s worldview is knocked down
10)  Arc: begins one way, ends another
11)   Character is action and anything they do makes things worse
12)  Poke the protagonist until they change, fling them into the fray
13)  Mislead don’t hide, lie, or keep secrets from your reader, or hide the road to the end, (CHARACTERS can do all of these), give information readers need to know
14)  Nothing CAN’T affect the arc
15)   Everything that can go wrong, should
16)  No one should every give up anything they aren’t forced to
17)   Challenges start small and end huge
18)  Threat should be active
19) Hero becomes one by doing something heroic
20)                        Anything that hints at being a pattern had better BE part of it Setup implies future action
21) Payoff has to be POSSIBLE
22) Subplots – MASH style – and mirroring subplots are cautionary tales, validation, or fresh perspectives
23)Keep track of each character’s version of reality

Integrating these two lists into a story produced the first of a series – who knows, maybe even a novel. While I have never met any of the Korean SF community, a friend of mine picked up a publication that’s an overview of that community. Maybe I’ll email one of the members and ask them to read my current story in ANALOG (https://www.analogsf.com/current-issue/table-of-contents/).

In “Kamsahamnida, America”, I’ve created the first block of a series I’ve been thinking about. This essay will be my first attempt at laying out the storyline. From another essay I wrote in September of this year, “In a story that will be in the November/December issue of ANALOG Science Fiction and Fact, “Kamsahamnida, America” (the first story in my Korean Solar Expansion (planned) series), I had a great deal of trouble writing the end of the story because I somehow got emotionally tied up in it.”

So, as I’ve done before, I’m going to use the two lists above to sketch out an action plan.

First of all, I can’t use the main character from the short story in ANALOG. I need to use other characters. HOWEVER, I need to find a main character who is “me”. Working as I do in a very diverse high school, I know I have no right to cultural appropriation. I can have OTHER characters who come from other cultures (cautious to NOT turn them into stereotypes), but I have to see the story through my own culture. The first story was easy because the main character was me.

Now I need a new character, and I think I’m going to use a combination of my grandson, granddaughter, daughter-in-law, and son…

Japheth (“Call me Jay – NOT JC…”), one of the sons of Noah will be his first name. Their last name doesn’t have an ethnic origin I could find, so after poking around, it will be Karsten. Clementine will be his middle name (no end of teasing, but his mom wanted it and he wasn’t a girl, so there you go.) He grew up in South Korea, going to schools there until his family moved back to the US. He enlisted in the Air Force, became a pilot after going to college and getting his first degree in aerospace engineering. He trained as an astronaut/engineer and spent a few months at the expanded International Space Station, distinguishing himself as an invaluable go-between when South Korean sent up a massive module and nearly doubled the occupancy rate. Because of the relaxation of international regulations and the payment of a huge bribe, their work on nuclear fusion continued and concluded with a working fusion reactor which powered the station for an entire week without solar supplementation.

He retired, married a Korean woman he’d fallen in love with in high school, and settled in both Waegan and Minneapolis where he worked with 3M as a materials engineer for advanced spacecraft. He was 46 when his wife died without children. He was recruited by the Korean Space Program…

And I’m going to stop here except to say that HIS first story will involve dinosaurs and the Korean space program…

Image: https://www.ducksters.com/science/chemistry/chromium.gif

No comments: