November 17, 2019

WRITING ADVICE: Leaving My Mark On the World #1 – What Mark Do I Want To Leave On the World?

In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, Lin Oliver speak at a convention hosted by the Minnesota Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Since then, I have shared (with their permission) and applied the writing wisdom of Lin Oliver, Jack McDevitt, Nathan Bransford, Mike Duran, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, SL Veihl, Bruce Bethke, and Julie Czerneda. Together they write in genres broad and deep, and have acted as agents, editors, publishers, columnists, and teachers. Since then, I figured I’ve got enough publications now that I can share some of the things I did “right”.

While I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it...neither do all of the professional writers above...someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. When I started this blog, that was NOT true, so I may have reached a point where my own advice is reasonably good. We shall see! Hemingway’s quote above will now remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales! As always, your comments are welcome!

I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to write on this morning. I had a bunch of scattered thoughts, but then found myself drawn to my own advice – the posts I’ve made that I kind of clumped together into the “What Went Right With…” essays.

The published pieces cover decades of writing – the earliest published piece (that wasn’t a sort of shot-in-the-dark like a piece I wrote for a local student magazine called LITTLE BIT when I was seventeen) is from the June 2000 issue of ANALOG Science Fiction and Fact.

Then there was “bit” of a lull that included an acceptance from a magazine called ANTITHESIS that folded before they were able to publish it…the story was called “Dogie” and while I still have a typewritten copy, it’s far from publishable in any sort of pro market.

As for the others, if you look left and scroll down to Professional Publishing Credits, you’ll find a list of those stories that have found homes. Under that you can find stories that are still available online or that I’ve posted on an adjunct to my regular blog called The Work and Worksheets of Guy Stewart (http://theworkandworksheetsofguystewart.blogspot.com/).

So, as illustrated over there, I’ve had forty-one stories published; I’ve commented on eighteen of them, poring over what I thought made them successful sales. Some have garnered positive reviews online; one got a “review” in the form of a fan letter! I’ve even thought about collecting and self-publishing all of my YA/children’s science fiction in one place; and I’d probably do both published and unpublished work. Of the stuff over there, most of them are stories with adults as main characters.

What I’d like to do is begin to distill my own “wisdom”; at least distill my own experiences and reflections as I try to not only duplicate what I did to get published, but to figure out if there are themes in my writing. I’ll start with what I seem to have done right in my published stories.

The first thing I notice is that every story has something of me in it. That seems obvious as I’m the one who wrote it; but what I MEAN is that every story has something I’ve wrestled with as a person – either a young person or an adult.

For example, my most recent story, “Kamsahamnida, America” deals with aging, self-image, and self-confidence. Larry Henry (besides my envisioning him as a black man, but that’s beside the point) is a “…bitter, sarcastic, old man with no descendants whatsoever…” While I have descendants (two NextGen; three grand) I have been known to be bitter and sarcastic. And I’m competitive. Maybe not as much as Larry, but I absolutely worry about the legacy I’ll leave when I die. Larry goes to the Moon in a new space race sparked by the South Koreans landing a human on the Far Side of the Moon, hoping to create a legacy…

Let’s go back farther: “Fairy Bones”. A bitter, sarcastic old woman wonders about the legacy she’ll leave behind after she dies. When she – with the help of a deeply sarcastic teenage grandson – discovers fairy bones in owl pellets…

“Mystery on Space Station Courage” in which a young girl (the artist envisioned her as black and while startled, I was delighted!) struggles with the death of a friend and how to move forward without becoming (from the viewpoint of an adult, so she doesn’t THINK of this) sarcastic and bitter…

In “A Woman’s Place”, a sarcastic and bitter ex-husband goes into danger, forcing his ex-wife, whom he must work with, to rescue him – and become a mythic figure in a series of stories and a novels I’m writing.

Are you sensing a pattern here?

Better still, are you seeing what I’m seeing? My characters struggle with the kind of legacy they’ll leave behind once they are gone. The fact is that, I not only struggle with that myself, I intentionally direct my students to the same issue. Dozens, maybe even hundreds of times, I point to a small “handprint” I have pinned to a bulletin board in my office with an image similar to the new icon above, but simpler. (I may take a picture of the one in my office, so we'll see!) and I ask the student, “What kind of mark do YOU want to leave on the world?”

I ask this of myself, I ask it of the rest of the world. Because the issue is relevant to me, it leaks into my stories; because it’s an important issue, its importance lends import to the story. Others wonder the same thing, and so, (perhaps) that’s why my stories started to sell when I finally figured out what drove me.

References: (my catalogued stories at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database) http://https://i.pinimg.com/originals/80/1b/a1/801ba1454f3169e80e12557791df7125.jpgwww.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?12973
Image: 

No comments: