April 28, 2024

CREATING ALIEN ALIENS Part 35: ALIEN ALIENS HAVE INVADED MY WIFE!!!!

MY POST IS A DAY LATE BECAUSE...WELL READ THE POST AND IT MIGHT MAKE SENSE...

Five decades ago, I started my college career with the intent of becoming a marine biologist. I found out I had to get a BS in biology before I could even begin work on MARINE biology; especially because there WEREN'T any marine biology programs in Minnesota.

Along the way, the science fiction stories I'd been writing since I was 13 began to grow more believable. With my BS in biology and a fascination with genetics, I started to use more science in my fiction.

After reading hard SF for the past 50 years, and writing hard SF successfully for the past 20, I've started to dig deeper into what it takes to create realistic alien life forms. In the following series, I'll be sharing some of what I've learned. I've had some of those stories published, some not...I teach a class to GT young people every summer called ALIEN WORLDS. I've learned a lot preparing for that class for the past 25 years...so...I have the opportunity to share with you what I've learned thus far. Take what you can use, leave the rest. Let me know what YOU'VE learned. Without further ado...


My wife of 36 years was invaded Friday (though on reflection, probably the actual assault began the day before on Thursday while we were preparing our gardens) by an organism that is NOT supposed to be inside the "Universe known as My Wife".

 How do I know it was an alien invasion?

She had a violent allergic reaction to it after the organism breached the protective layer of the body called the Skin and began to reproduce.

If it was a virus, it invaded My Wife’s Cells, injected a bit of DNA into the original cell, that replaced a bit of DNA in the original cell’s copying program and induced My Wife’s Cell to begin to make copies of the Viral Cell.

My Wife’s Cell became a minion of the Alien Cell and set about creating copies of ITSELF to take over other of My Wife’s Cells.

This is purely and completely the plot of the 1950s movie, “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”.

If the invader was instead, a single-celled organism, it did a much more “HG Wells War of the Worlds invasion”: aliens overwhelm the rightful inhabitants of the world known as My Wife’s Body and go about wreaking havoc on My Wife until most of My Wife has been annihilated and the Aliens have taken over – for whatever their Nefarious Purpose is.

Entire organisms are a different story, so I’ll only point out that a creature many of us know, love, hunt, and eat in this central part of Abya Yala is known by the Latin name, Phasianus colchicus. The Common pheasant was introduced in Abya Yala in 1773 to become well established throughout many of the Rocky Mountain states, the Midwest, the Plains states, as well as Canada and Mexico. This is, also, an invasion of massive proportion, which few (if any of us) care about.

But, who the freak cares?

Funny you should ask! The INVASIVE pheasant, who is definitely NOT FROM AROUND HERE, ie: an ALIEN, “There are a number of negative effects of common pheasants on other game birds; pheasants lay their eggs in the nests of grey partridges, prairie chickens, ducks, grouse, and turkeys. Pheasant eggs also have a shorter incubation time and when they hatch, the female parasitized by the common pheasant abandons the rest of the incompletely incubated eggs, which then die. Also, pheasants raised in other species' nests imprint on their ‘alien mom’ which result in them act totally weird for pheasants. They often use resources for bobwhites, partridges, and grouse due to habitat and food competition, and also survive certain infection easily, while ruffed grouse, chukar, and grey partridge die. 
Pheasants also harass or kill other birds like prairie chickens.” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_pheasant)

We are surrounded by Alien Invasions…maybe that’s WHY the idea of Alien Invasion and Alien Aliens are so fascinating to us? It’s written into our very DNA. Maybe the Universe is trying to tell us to FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO TO PROTECT FROM ALIEN INVASIONS!

*ahem*

Just a bit of food for thought…

Sources: Image: https://image.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/alien-human-600w-136457129.jpg

No comments: