January 4, 2018

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION 78: The Trials of Group Two

On Earth, there are three Triads intending to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. All three intelligences hover on the edge of extinction. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society might not only save all three – but become something not even they could predict. Something entirely new...
The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans – Oscar and Xiomara; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six, pack leaders Qap and Xurf; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven, Dao-hi the Herd mother. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two, warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds.

“We had nearly fallen into stagnation when we encountered the Kiiote.”
“And we into internecine war when we encountered the Yown’Hoo.”
 “Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have been defending themselves for a thousand revolutions of our Sun.”
 “Together, we might do something none of us alone might have done…a destiny that included Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human.” (2/19/2015)

“Let’s get moving.”

I glanced at my watch – cellphones had disappeared a long time ago; before I was born, I guess. Mechanical watches survived the high energy, electromagnetic pulses the Yown’Hoo and Kiiote fought with. Humans hadn’t stood much of a chance of remaining a technological civilization when all-out war broke over Earth. “Good luck, my friends.” No one else spoke as the three Kiiote, in four-legged form loped up the exit to the surface. It was winter and by now, it would be dark. Cold, probably, too. I wished I could go with them…

The rest of us continued on for five more kilometers in the tunnel, pretty much silent except for directions and like, “tactical” conversations from Retired to Group Two. This time, Xurf, Fax, Doj and leader Zei-go with Hil-hi-el, Jus-hi-el, and Eel-go-el. They’d plant their trackers underground, exit, then go to the surface through an old fueling station, coming out through a false floor in an historic repair bay. Retired said, “You have an actual mission.”

Xurf, the male Pack leader, made a faint query noise. Retired heard only that, though. I could hear the undertone of nervousness and doubt. Xurf rarely had to lead alone. Now all of a sudden, besides just getting a third of the Triad to the surface, avoiding any search teams from the Cities – and any independent community’s patrols – he was going to have to…

“We need not only supplies of food, but we need to contact someone on the surface here who we can trust to get us transportation to Grendl.”

“You know someone near here?” I said.

Retired blinked, like I’d surprised him. He didn’t say anything for a moment, then, “Yes, Oscar. There’s a contact here, while not a sympathizer of the Triad Corporation, she also does much care for what the Yown’Hoo and Kiiote have done to Earth. I’ve spoken with her before,” he grinned faintly, “She’s even older than me.”

I was going to make a smart aleck remark. Xio looked at me so I shut my mouth. I couldn’t just be a ‘kid’ anymore. I was a Human and while the Pack and Herd leaders were otherwise occupied, I was the defector leader…in training.

Fax. Shit. He was my…I don’t know. He just was. I considered him part of my own little Human Tribe as well as part of the Triad. I had feelings for him beyond the ones I had for all of the group. Weird feelings, if you had to know. A lot. He was my best friend. I mean, I loved Xio, but that was like a sister. And it’s not like I’ve never seen any other Humans before. The Triad – at least me a Xio – have been out and about the Cities on expeditions and stuff, mostly with the Master, Mother Kan Yuen. I never say much about her because she lives undercover in the Cities. She teaches us very specific lessons, but we have to go to here because she’s so old. I said, “Older than Mother Kan?”

Retired looked surprised, then shook his head. “Not as old as Mother Yuen.” He used the old term for her – because we studied multiple Human cultures, we knew that the Family name in most Asian cultures was the first name. Most of Retired’s generation used the second name as the last name. Dummies. No wonder Humanity was a fractured mess when the Kiiote-Yown’Hoo war came on us. He continued, “They’ll contact her and she’ll get some form of transportation for you to bring to us.”

Xurf looked up at him, “We’ll have to manipulate a Human vehicle?”

He shrugged, “If you used one from the Kiiote, not only would it become a target for the Yown’Hoo, it would be way too conspicuous for any Human community.”

“You mean they’d try and destroy it because they hate us?” Xurf said, unfolding from his four-legged form and taking his two-legged form. Even Retired waited politely until the process was complete.

Retired bit his lip, but it was Great Uncle Rion who said, “Of course they would. This is a world at war.” He gestured to Xurf then the Herd Mother. “Your people hate each other. Do you think that if we took some form of transport belonging to either of your peoples it would escape notice?” They both had the grace to be ashamed, Xurf tucking her tail; Dao-hi letting her tentacles slip half out of their sheaths. Even I hung my head. “It will be some beat-up piece of Human shit…” GURion paused. I’d never heard it cuss in front of us. I knew it did, GURion had been around for over a hundred years. It knew how to behave around Humans. It even cussed when it didn’t think I was listening, but it’d kept it clean when it’d been with us. Any doubt I had that it cared about the outcome of our flight from the war I blew out just then with a long sigh.

Fine then. “All right, everyone back down. Team Two, get ready to head for the surface. Xurf, take one of the others with you and let them hear your destination directions. Only two of you.” Retired gave me a look. Irritated? Offended? Nah, I suddenly realized, respect. I ignored it. “Just don’t both of you get killed.” Xurf fell back into her four-footed form and trotted after Retired. The Yown’Hoo Zei-go followed. Already I could see growth in the Yown’Hoo. Those who earned responsibility grew larger, tapping the subcutaneous fat stores. It already looked leaner, faster.

When they got back to what was left of the group, I nodded to Xurf and she led them up the tunnel then to the surface.

***

Xurf paused, taking a deep breath of the air of the Human world. Even though it was the only place she’d ever known, she also could tell it smelled ‘wrong’. Not bad. She loved her Human Pack members. But she also knew it wasn’t the same as the Pack homeworld.

Plus, the basement of the fueling station was full of leaks. Volatiles had seeped into the ground, poisoning both the land and the air around it. Snarling a grin, she set off for the escape path Retired had shared with them. Her respect for the elder Human grew more still as her third of the Triad broke to the surface and headed west. The scent from the material Retired had shared with her was strong in her mind. She would find the Human and they would move on to the next step of their flight.


No comments: