March 15, 2011

Ideas on Tuesdays 4: Fantasy Banding...

This new feature on POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAYS, rather than trying to irritate you, is designed to both challenge and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them -- and that you can post in the comment section.

I used to work at Barnes & Noble and while I was there, I tried to keep a close watch on the TEEN (formerly called the Young Adult) section. I also read the "forthcoming" magazine the company put out quarterly.

When I saw the title MY FAVORITE BAND DOES NOT EXIST (by Robert J. Jeschonek), I wasn't even able to READ the novel synopsis before my mind leaped ahead and created today's idea.

Please remember that you can't use the title -- it's already been done. But you CAN use my idea:

A totally EXCELLENT indie band takes the teen world by storm through their Youtubes, webcasts, podcasts and blog posts. But according to fan and FaceBook pages, they've never APPEARED anywhere.

When a concert is announced in Fargo, North Dakota on the day before New Years Eve -- and rumor has it that there won't really be a concert; that the band doesn't actually exist; that the whole thing is a hoax -- south Texas best friends Kindrya Zane and Marcus Oates, seniors about to graduate from high school load up his car and head north to prove everyone wrong, have the adventure of a lifetime and see their dream band...

No comments: