March 1, 2011

Ideas On Tuesdays 2: TERMINATOR Upside Down Cake...

A regular feature on POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAYS, rather than irritating you, I'd like to both challenge and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them -- and that you can post in the comment section.


We've been programmed, so to speak, to believe that once robots reach a certain level of sophistication, we'll expect them to violently take over the world a la TERMINATOR; THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES; I, ROBOT; COLOSSUS -- THE FORBIN PROJECT; or WESTWORLD.

But what if it WASN'T that dramatic? Scroll down the article to the medical monitor...toilet...and imagine a world in which THESE kinds of robots took over. How would it happen?



No comments: