November 6, 2014

LOVE IN A TIME OF ALIEN INVASION -- CHAPTER 23



The Cold War between the Kiiote and the Yown’Hoo has become a shooting war.  On Earth, there are three Triads one each in Minneapolis, Estados United; Pune, India; and Harbin, China. Protected by the Triad Corporation, they intend to integrate not only the three peoples and stop the war that threatens to break loose and slaughter Humans and devastate their world.; but to stop the war that consumes Kiiote economy and Yown’Hoo moral fiber. The Yown’Hoo know about the extra-Universe Braider, aliens whose own “civil war” mirrors the Cold War. The Braiders accidentally created a resonance wave that will destroy the Milky Way and the only way to stop it is to physically construct a sort of membrane that will produce a canceling wave – generated from the rim of the Galaxy inward. The Braiders don’t DO physical stuff on that scale – the Yown’Hoo-Kiiote-Human Triads may be their only chance of creating a solution. The merger of Human-Kiiote-Yown’Hoo into a van der Walls Society may produce a stability capable of launching incredible expansion, creativity, longevity and wealth – and building the Membrane to stop the wave.

The young experimental Triads are made up of the smallest primate tribe of Humans –two; the smallest canine pack of Kiiote – six; and the smallest camelid herd of Yown’Hoo – a prime eleven. On nursery farms and ranches away from the TC cities, Humans have tended young Yown’Hoo and Kiiote in secret for decades, allowing the two warring people to reproduce and grow far from their home worlds. Grendl, Manitoba is one such place. No one but the Triad Company has ever heard of it and the physical plant goes by the unobtrusive name of Organic Prairie Dairy.

The city Triads never hear of anything they aren’t spoon fed in their luxury worlds and have heard only rumors of the farms and ranches. Surrounded by a Humanity that has degenerated into a “duck-and-cover” society as the Big Boys fight their war, the Triads don’t care about anything but their own lives. Oblivious, cocooned, manipulated, they have no idea that their privileges are about to be violently curtailed and all of their biology ransacked for the correct Membrane pattern. (update: 5/2/2014)

Lieutenant Commander Patrick Bakhsh make a face and finally said, “It all depends on whether the trip goes off without a hitch. The truck has some cutting-edge Human defense tech, but I’m not sure it will protect you from a full on thermonuclear explosion. The Unbalance – they call themselves the Key!balyemaheng – are intent on destroying Earth as a breeding ground for Yown’Hoo, Kiiote, and Human alike. They especially want the Triads – they see you all as a real threat to their plans.”

“Their plans?” I exclaimed. “Their plans are to kill us all!”

He snorted, then added, “Way bigger than that, kid.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Their plan is to capture the Triads and torture everything out of you.” I gulped. He wasn’t being obnoxious anymore. Just dead serious. “After that, they plan to wipe out all life on this planet.”

“Why?” Ka’Shayla asked.

“Because it’s the only planet anyone knows of where all three of us can raise viable young. It’s an adequate nursery and Humans have been raising Kiiote and Yown’Hoo for nearly a hundred years.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“Not at all. Now, everyone get in. Our first leg’s going to be bumpy.”

“Why?” this time from Qap. He ended it with snap and a snarl.

The Commander grinned and said, “Because Oscar over there’s gonna be the driver.”

‘Shayla didn’t protest. She didn’t get mad ‘cause Commander Bakhsh had chosen me to do the honor. Nah. She busted out laughing. “Hey! I can drive!”

She laughed harder.

The Triad started to mutter; shifting. I knew them well enough to see that if I was gonna lead, I had to take control. But I couldn’t smack her. That was plain wrong – and the Kiiote and Yown’Hoo knew enough about Humans to know that it was wrong, too. Both of their people valued leading by example, though to tell you the truth, a little hind quarters nipping and butt-snapping helped to emphasize a Kiiote Leader’s and Pack Mother’s commands at times.

Which gave me an idea. “I may not be a great driver yet,” I snarled, “But I’m going to learn how!” I didn’t give ‘Shayla time to save face. I brushed past her, making sure I clipped her shoulder as I ran for the truck and leaped into the driver’s seat and shouted, “Anyone’s who’s ready to do this had better get in or I’m leaving without you!”

A few seconds later, Herd, Pack, and with a look that could have blasted paint off an armored tank, the other half of the Tribe, followed me.

“I’ll be riding shotgun,” the Commander said as he went to the side-panel of the truck and thumbed it. A panel a meter long opened. A giant rifle, glowing wicked red a choice points, extended out to him on a rack. He took it and thumbed another spot. This time a helmet popped out. When he was tricked out, he came back and sat down in the shotgun seat and said, “Ready kid?”

I had to clear my throat before I could say, “As ready as I’ll ever be.”
He nodded, adding, “Then Godspeed to us all.”

“I don’t believe in a god.”

Without looking at me, he said, “I believe we need as much help as we can get, Kid.”

I started the truck and said, “Godspeed it is, then.”
Image: http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/876/493/armor-cop-truck-660-2.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

No comments: