November 26, 2017

Slice of PIE: A Solution To Writing FRUSTRATION?

NOT using the panel discussions of the most recent World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki, Finland in August 2017 (to which I be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Program Guide. But not today. This explanation is reserved for when I dash “off topic”, sometimes reviewing movies, sometimes reviewing books, and other times taking up the spirit of a blog an old friend of mine used to keep called THE RANTING ROOM…

Lately, I’ve been frustrated with my writing.

It’s not that I haven’t been able to produce anything – I have.

It’s not that what I’ve written doesn’t have a message couched in a good story -- I hope.

It’s that I’m not doing it WELL enough.

See, I know I can write for the professional market. My publications list to the right proves that to my doubting mind, I CAN. I’m a member of two professional organizations – the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. The groups have offered help several times, so they’re not just “self-congratulatory, back-patting clubs”. I’ve learned things from both.

But as I’ve said before, I’m on the wrong edge of being able to write well CONSISTENTLY.

I’ve tried several “how to” articles, but most of them fall back to beginning writer’s stuff. I’ve read (and have in my library) a dozen or so writing books aimed specifically at the SF market. I’ve read them, underlined them, studied them even. I’ve gotten better as a writer; but CONSISTENCY is my new bane.

Maybe my most recent stories are TOO serious?

“What the Cockroach Said” – North Korean political prisoner is contacted by Americans through a “cockroach robot” and given a way and a promise of support if she sparks revolution. (Modeled this on John Brunner’s 1970s ANALOG story, “Who Steals My Purse?”)

“Talking My Way Back Into Life” – Jet slips 20 years into the future and a 15-year-old-guy is suddenly 35 and alone and has to remake his life. (I lost the contest, so reworked my response to this Xprize challenge: https://www.xprize.org/press-release/visionary-sci-fi-writers-transport-you-20-years-future-new-xprize-anthology)

“The Princess’s Brain” – A blue-blood royal has her brain transplanted into a genetically “impure” body to spark change on a world. (Sci-fi twist on PRINCE AND THE PAUPER)

“Titan Mission Drops Bomb” – A humorous thought for ANALOG regarding space poop, Solar exploration, and alien traces. (OK – this one doesn’t suffer from seriousness…)

“Storm Change” – What if a Dakotah in ND got hold of a gene lab and planned on using it to redress the past and was opposed by his brother?

“The Daily Use of Gravity Modification in Rebuilding Liberian Schools” – This was ambitious for me. A genetically unique soldier uses his skills to rebuild Liberia after another civil war and is joined (reluctantly) by a gravity physicist returning to her homeland. (I stayed there for several months and want to see technology at work in much less developed countries. One editor asked me to drop all the “serious parts” and just do the “adventure” parts and it would be much better! I said, “No thanks”.)

“And After Soft Rain, Daisies” – A tribute to Ray Bradbury’s “There Will Come Soft Rains” and the application of monitoring and AI to the care of Alzheimer’s patients.

“The PsISMoDiDE Evaluation of the Borra-Trottier Stars” – in which the odd distribution of certain kinds of stars MIGHT be a sort of “vision test” laid out by vastly superior aliens for us to figure out. (Model: “Can These Bones Live?” (Ted Reynolds))

The rest of the Nancy Kress quote above goes on to specifics: “Emotional Promise: [signals] ‘Read this and you’ll be entertained, or thrilled, or scared, or titillated, or saddened, or nostalgic, or uplifted – but always absorbed’…Intellectual Promise: [signals] ‘Read this and you’ll see the world from a different perspective’; ‘Read this and you’ll have confirmed what you already want to believe about this world’; ‘Read this and you’ll learn of a different, more interesting world than this’. (The third promise can exist alone or in combination with the first or second one).”

After writing the above, I’ve realized a couple of things:

1) My Emotional Promise isn’t compelling enough. How can I lay out a story so that a reader will be “always absorbed”? Analyze prize-winning stories and see what the writer did to absorb me.

2) My Intellectual Promise isn’t compelling enough. How can I lay out a story so that a reader will END the story with a different perspective, a confirmation of their belief system, or discover a new, interesting place. The second is the biggest challenge for me because I’m a Christian. There aren’t as many Christian science fiction readers as there are readers with not-Christian belief systems, so fewer will find confirmation through my stories. That being said, there ARE SF writers who are Christians whose stories sell and who (maybe?) angle their stories to do either the first or the third Intellectual Promise. Maybe I’m emphasizing the second Intellectual Promise too…impolitely?

Hmmm…now I’ve got something to think about!


No comments: