November 12, 2017

WRITING ADVICE: Can This Story Be SAVED? #18 “Out of the Wounded Hills” (Submitted 3 Times Since 2008, Revised Once)

In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, In April of 2014, I figured I’d gotten enough publications that I could share some of the things I did “right”. I’ll keep that up, but I’m running out of pro-published stories. I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it, but someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. Hemingway’s quote above will remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales, but I’m adding this new series of posts because I want to carefully look at what I’ve done WRONG and see if I can fix it. As always, your comments are welcome!

ANALOG Tag Line:
Responsibility comes in many ways and at different costs.

Elevator Pitch (What Did I Think I Was Trying To Say?)
A Human and an intelligent, mobile plant alien who share nothing but their desire to grow a relationship are frustrated when they are forced to rescue orphans they’ve never met to an orphanage on the plains and have to pass through feuding aliens, Human soldiers, and a haunted village in order to discover that they both feel same about each other…

Opening Line:
The two-meter tall, mobile saguaro cactus whistled and clicked, “We need to get these orphans to Bewiah Bee’s quickly, Kahwoh!”

Onward:
From his boulder perch overlooking the valley, eighteen-year-old Karl Clive made a raspberry of disgust. In pidgin WheetWheet, with an angry gurgle, he said, “There is no ‘we’ here, Ohfei! ‘You’ said ‘you’ would take the orphans to Deliah’s orphanage. ‘I’ was drafted because ‘I’ am the only one who knows how to shoot this gun and ‘you’ need protection from ‘your’ crazy mountain cousins and your Vii friends.”

He hoisted the blaster rifle. It was the only weapon the Sharer commune owned. It was made for Humans and Karl was the only one who knew how to use it. Today, he was an armed babysitter. Sliding down the rock’s slope, he said, “I don’t owe these kids anything. ‘You’ do. So ‘you’ tell me what to do.”

What Was I Trying To Say?
The same thing I’ve been trying to say with all of the stories I’ve written in this world – which, by the way, just came clear to me now – if Humans can learn to get along with __________ (in this case the alien plantimal WheetAh), then we can learn to get along with each other.

The Rest of the Story:
Karl and Ohfei, members of a radical cult of Humans and WheetAh that seeks to join the kingdoms through the literal sharing of the body and blood are charged with transporting a group of orphan WheetAh and ruuyAh (pygmy WheetAh) to an orphanage from the mountains to the plains. Along the way, they encounter Human invaders, internecine skirmishes, and a haunted village that Vii and Fei would as soon forget because of a slaughter of innocents that took place there. Oh, and the Human wants to get even with his dad for abandoning him and his now-dead mother…

End Analysis:
The problem again is that I’m trying to jam too much into a single story

Why do I do that?

What happens is that I create this place and I START with an interesting situation. Then I figure I can say MORE, so I add layers. Then I keep adding layers until you can’t tell the cake from the frosting and it’s all mushy:
I tried to model the story on Lois McMaster Bujold’s Hugo, Nebula and SF Chronicles-winning novella (and nominated for AnLab best, and Locus best), “The Mountains of Mourning” (ANALOG, May 1989). If you haven’t read it, it’s easy to find as it’s been collected in several places. At any rate, it’s one of those stories I reread over and over again and it’s what I wanted to do with this.

But where the message of “Mountains of Mourning” was clear: everyone deserves a voice, even if they are tiny – and dead; my message is nowhere near as clear. It certainly wasn’t as compelling. More specifically, in Bujold’s story, Miles is physically handicapped and continues to conquer his world with his wits and an uncanny ability to enlist the aid of incredibly powerful people – from cooks to kings (or emperors as they case may be). After he gets them to help him, he releases them to much greater callings.

Newborn Raina never had that opportunity because she was murdered for her mutation much the same as countless people – from his grandfather on up – have tried to murder Miles (though his deformities are not a mutation). He meets his personal demons as well as metes out justice in a unique and powerful way.

My story…clearly on a Nebula or Hugo winner. In fact not even publishable at this point.

Oh, I just realized that this story also has echoes of “Wings of Victory” (ANALOG, April 1973), in particular with the kid rebelling against his dad to join a commune of Ythrians, against whom Humanity is about to go to war…

Can This Story Be Saved?
As I’ve done before, I think it can and with even less work than usual. Karl Clive, my story’s hero, is tilting far too many windmills however: finding a new way in a rapidly changing world (he’s become a Sharer); making peace with an absentee father; mourning the death of his Human mother at the hands of Human invasion fleet; facing racism – the Vii hate the Fei who both hate the ruuyAh; and the secret shame of both Vii and Fei because of a slaughter of innocents in the Vomir Mountains, where the hills have been wounded by many things, no less than the attempts by a crazed WheetAh ruler to supposedly create a device to make new land who intends to use it as a weapon…

See what I mean?

What if I did this: the haunted village is cool; so is the Sharer cult. Transporting orphans works as a vehicle for the story. But I need to lose making peace with Dad, Mom’s death, and the race war between the Vii and the Fei (or the Human invasion). Stick with Karl and Ohfei moving the orphans and passing through the haunted village. The “message” or take-away needs to be…Karl wants a new world – what is he willing to sacrifice for it and will he allow OTHERS to sacrifice for him? (Ohfei thinks Karl’s chances of making a difference are better than his chances of making a difference…)


No comments: