April 11, 2020

POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY: STAR TREK and Alzheimer’s Disease


Dad’s diagnosis of Alzheimer’s stayed hidden from everyone until I took over the medical administration of my parents in 2015. Once I found out, there was a deafening silence from most of the people I know even though virtually all of them would add, “My _____ had Alzheimer’s…” But there was little help, little beyond people sadly shaking heads. Or horror stories. Lots of those. Even the ones who knew about the disease seemed to have received a gag order from some Central Alzheimer’s Command and did little more than mumble about the experience. Not one to shut up for any known reason, I started this part of my blog…

On another blog I keep, I complained that while science fiction dealt with all kinds of disabilities, few I’d run across dealt with dementia, or Alzheimer’s in specific. I found some, as I reviewed here: https://faithandsciencefiction.blogspot.com/2018/06/possibly-irritating-essay-no-futures.html

I was shocked then as my wife and I were re-watching the last season of STAR TREK: Deep Space Nine. Broadcast at the close of the 20th Century, when we were just beginning to feel the effects of dementia and Alzheimer’s (Dad was diagnosed in 2014 and died in 2019 of complications stemming from Alzheimer’s.)

Alzheimer’s was identified 120 years ago and since then has moved from an obscure condition including “…memory loss, paranoia, and psychological changes. Dr. Alzheimer noted in the autopsy that there was shrinkage in and around nerve cells in her brain.”

At the turn of the century, Alzheimer’s and other dementias didn’t even make the “Top Ten” list of global causes of death. Nineteen years later, it has skyrocketed to the sixth most common cause of death among humans, though in 2017, it was the FOURTH most common cause of death on Earth. In 2019, it was the 6th most common cause of death in the US, topped by heart disease at #1.

So, you’d think it would engender quite a bit more fiction than it does; and in the field of speculative fiction, you’d think it would be a gold mine of story ideas.

It’s not.

In fact, just like in the real world, it seems like no one wants to talk about it at all. Of course, I did – twenty years ago in ANALOG Science Fiction and Fact. The June 2000 issue carried my story “A Pig Tale” in which a researcher illicitly used a drug designed to treat Alzheimer’s to “rewrite” her father’s memory, erasing his suicide attempt. You can read it here: http://theworkandworksheetsofguystewart.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-pig-tale-june-2000-analog-science.html

At any rate, in the ST:DS9 episode, “Once More Unto the Breach”, a Klingon with dementia – and a glorious reputation from the past – wants to die in glory. Commander Worf, an old friend of his, arranges a place for him on a dangerous mission. “Klingon Kor is growing old and senile, and asks Worf for one last chance to die in battle. Worf uses his sway to get him on a ship, and though he initially he is humiliated, he eventually gets his warrior's death.”

While the cause of his loss of memory is laid on “senility”, it’s more than that. Just watch the episode – Kor is not only forgetting things, he’s paranoid as well as reliving the past as if it’s the present. It’s this aspect of his Alzheimer’s that nearly kills everyone.

Dad’s retreat into the past never endangered anyone’s lives, though his denial that he was starting to get confused when driving – and a harrowing turn across five lanes of traffic – might easily have killed people besides himself. That retreat caused constant problems for us and led to embarrassing revelations of his past. This manifested itself several times for me when he became convinced that my mom had left him because of imagined (recalled?) marital indiscretions. That happened far more often than I wanted to count.

How WOULD a disease like Alzheimer’s manifests itself in sapient beings other than Human? How might they be treated? Would a cure for one be a cure for another? What if other sapient civilizations practiced “senicide”? STAR TREK: The Next Generation dealt with this issue in the episode “Half A Life” in which a man in his “prime” is culturally required to end his life. The troubled Lwaxana Troi tries to convince him to live; an offer he eventually and regretfully refuses.

I’m always on the look out for stories that deal with senescence, Alzheimer’s, and dementia. If you know of any others, let me know. In the meantime, I’ll continue my search to cross post here and on my regular blog!



No comments: