April 4, 2020

WRITING ADVICE: Can This Story Be SAVED? #25 “Lovely To Behold” (Submitted 4 Times Since 2017, Revised So Many Times It’s Become A HUGE Muddle!)


In September of 2007, I started this blog with a bit of writing advice. A little over a year later, I discovered how little I knew about writing after hearing children’s writer, In April of 2014, I figured I’d gotten enough publications that I could share some of the things I did “right”. I’ll keep that up, but I’m running out of pro-published stories. I don’t write full-time, nor do I make enough money with my writing to live off of it, but someone pays for and publishes ten percent of what I write. Hemingway’s quote above will remain unchanged as I work to increase my writing output and sales, but I’m adding this new series of posts because I want to carefully look at what I’ve done WRONG and see if I can fix it. As always, your comments are welcome!

ANALOG Tag Line:
First Contact is usually something you expect, but when it sneaks up behind you, the only person who can deal with it is the person who is RIGHT THERE…no matter how inexperienced they are.

Elevator Pitch (What Did I Think I Was Trying To Say?)
[I originally wrote this story that Julie Czerneda put a call out for after giving permission to write in the world she’d created. The Trade Pact universe held PLEXIS SUPERMARKET, a freewheeling, capitalistic market that was buried in an asteroid traveling through space. On Plexis, anything could happen…] Truth be told, I’m absolutely certain I had no idea what I wanted to say…it was just supposed to be fun playing there!

Opening Line:
[I wrote two versions of this story, one took place on Plexis. When the story didn’t pass muster, I repurposed it to fit my River universe.]

PLEXIS:
“I find it highly suspect that a new information merchant should set up shop and that a Sakissishee starship should dock at Plexis Supermarket in the same week,” said Inspector Krrsen.

RIVER:
“I am dying here.”


Onward:
PLEXIS:
He looked up at the two young beings standing at rigid attention before him. Constables Human Russell Terk and Tolian P’tr wit’Whix did not look well. He managed to keep a smirk from his eyes. “What do you think, Constable wit’Whix?”

The usually groomed plumage of the avioid being was clumped unattractively. He said,

“We have just returned from the restaurant stakeout, Inspector, Sir.”

“I understand, your partner attempted to pass you off as an entrée?”

The Human’s face and ears darkened to an attractive red as he said, “We felt it was the only way for us to get into the hideout, Inspector!”

“It was your idea,” ‘Whix clicked his beak in irritation. The feathers at his neck fluttered as he said, “I wish to transfer off of Plexis.”

Krrsen nodded, rumbling with a Turrned giggle. The two youngsters had no idea he was struggling not to laugh out loud. He let their wide-eyed terror at the sound stew a moment then fixed them with a hard gaze from large, fist-sized, warm brown eyes, and said, “I’ll take your request under consideration, constable ‘Whix. Until then, the two of you will take the Education Market beat.”

RIVER:
No matter how hard I try, I will never understand math, if I don’t math, I don’t go to university, and if I don’t go to university, I’ll never get out of here and I’ll die,” Iggie whispered into his headphone. “I need help.”

“You won’t die. I can help you…” Agnew said.

“I need real help, Sausage-Butt. I have to change my brain,” he spoke slowly, like Agnew was an idiot. Agnew was his brother and pretty much his only friend, he was also an employee, technically his property, and a giant pain-in-the-ass.

Keeping with the last, Agnew said, “Don’t. Do. Nootropics.”

“I’ve decided on an electronic memory stimulator. That’s all I need to pass the stupid test.”

Agnew made a noise garbled by the earphone as he said, “How long can you lie about yourself until you start to believe it, Ignoramus?” He hung up.

What Was I Trying To Say?
In the PLEXIS story, I was having fun exploring some characters I really liked who didn’t get a lot of story time. As for a message? Hmmm. If pressed, I’d say that it was a mystery about how we always try to find an easy way to get what we want. In this story, it was about a shop that supplied illegal enhancements to allow for a pilot’s implant to be placed. It was usually an expensive, lengthy procedure. This supplier also found out that there was an unforeseen consequence when meddling with a novel alien people.

For RIVER, I have no aliens, just genetically modified Humans. The modifications run the gamut from simple to bizarre. Here, as above, I have a character who’s trying to cheat the system to get into a top-rank college (does this story sound familiar? https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/lori-loughlin-college-admissions-scam-dismiss-charges/?fbclid=IwAR3A6oAab7lm6oBRurd-PLBRr9i_whExRoFLuok-0OmYO4N0-COOURCdei4 At the time it WASN’T!) His best friend urges him to just do the work and don’t do drugs.

The Rest of the Story:
PLEXIS: Using unorthodox methods, the main characters trace novel DNA to a new alien species. They discover that it is unlike anything they’d ever encountered – two genders; one mammalian, one reptilian; each carried half the DNA needed to procreate, but they also carried two halves of one brain that would become part of an adult. Alien antagonists interfere, causing one of the genders to become sexually mature. This creates a biologically mature individual who had only “half of a brain” without the balanced DNA a normal union would create. The “cops” of the story kill it and they meet the being the union of two halves SHOULD produce, a being named Lovely To Behold.

RIVER: Similar to the story above, but the “alien” is simply Human who was so profoundly manipulated, it’s effectively another species. The brain-joining and the rest also happen. The main character is remanded into the care of one of the Completed Humans and promises to teach him how to use his real brain and quit trying to cheat.

End Analysis:
Both end the same way, but the RIVER story is more personal…except that instead of making it about my own personal struggles, it’s so nebulous as conclude without having any effect on the reader. Even me…in rewriting the story, “May They Rest”, I suddenly found its heart and ended up tearing up a couple of times because the story had become personal.

This one got so muddled in both iterations that it was meaningless. I hate meaningless stories.

Can This Story Be Saved?
PLEXIS was written for a particular anthology that has since been published.

RIVER…I think the biggest problem is that the story has virtually no focus. I wrote both before I read Lisa Cron’s book WIRED FOR STORY, so it’s more in keeping with my writing skills before I started to work at changing them.

That being said, I like the characters and the story, but it’s so rambling and jargon heavy, I can’t seem to get my ideas across. Again, I can’t even tell you CLEARLY what I was trying to say. “Don’t do drugs!” is certainly one of the messages, but that’s so prosaic as to be meaningless. What DO I want to say? Until I figure it out, the story can’t be saved. Once I do? That’s a different story!


No comments: