August 26, 2014

IDEAS ON TUESDAYS 171



http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--GKGQGnXL--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/17rmaeh22ge1bjpg.jpg
Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.


SF Trope: Super Powers


The entire classroom was staring at Fajr Nazor. She said, “What’s wrong with you?”
Wiremu Song, the boy she liked, sat behind her, and whom she often wanted to drop dead, raised his hand. He didn’t wait for Mr. Beidelman to call on him though, saying, “We’ve never seen a real mutant before, Mr. B. It’s creepy. I was wondering if you could ask Fajr,” he always pronounced it “fudger” even though she’d corrected him a zillion times, “to demonstrate her super powers?”


Mr. B hooked a thumb over his shoulder as he said, “You, Mr. S., can take a short hike to the
CoolDown.”


“Aw, Mr….”


Mr. B hooked his thumb again and touched his Bluetooth, sawing, “I have your dad’s number in my eye and all I have to do is blink.”


Wiremu – whom, Fajr admitted she often called “Wired Cow” – stood up and slouched out of the room, firing a venomous look at her. Once he was gone, she stood up and said, “I don’t mind talking about it, Mr. B. It is sort of interesting.”


He nodded and said, “Go ahead if you want to.”


“I do. My mutation is actually a pair of mutations. I can memorize anything anyone shows to me in a split second.”


A girl at the back of the room said, “I can do that!”


Fajr cleared her throat and said, “And then I can draw it with a pencil without looking at the paper.”


A boy by the window piped up, “I seen her do it! It’s amazing! But you can only do it if you seen that thing the first time, right?”


Fajr blushed. Only a few people had known that little wrinkle to her brain kink. She shrugged, “I never told anyone I was super.” She started to sit down then stood up again and said, “I never told anyone this, either, but it’s about the superist thing I can do.”


Both of Mr. B’s brows went up. The rest of the class leaned forward as she said, “I can make electrons slow down to almost zero velocity.”


Mr. B scowled then said slowly, “That’s quite a claim, Ms. Song. Do you have any evidence to back that up?”


She gestured to Wiremu who suddenly appeared in the classroom as she said, “I stopped his electrons from moving right after he started out of the room.” No one moved or seemed to breathe – the all of a suddenly the room exploded with screaming seventh graders…


Names: ♀ Egypt, Croatia ; New Zealand, Korea

No comments: