June 16, 2015

IDEAS ON TUESDAY 211

Each Tuesday, rather than a POSSIBLY IRRITATING ESSAY, I'd like to both challenge you and lend a helping hand. I generate more speculative and teen story ideas than I can ever use. My family rolls its collective eyes when I say, "Hang on a second! I just have to write down this idea..." Here, I'll include the initial inspiration (quote, website, podcast, etc) and then a thought or two that came to mind. These will simply be seeds -- plant, nurture, fertilize, chemically treat, irradiate, test or stress them as you see fit. I only ask if you let me know if anything comes of them.



Tasmin Campbell cleared her ereader screen, turning it off. She said, “I wish something exciting would happen.”

Resolved Byram looked up from his iPad and said, “Finals not exciting enough for you?”

Tasmin rolled her eyes toward the blue sky of mid-spring Oxford University, “Of course it is, stupid. I just wish I could skip the drudgery and get right to the Far Side Observatory.”

Reso, as he was known to everyone but his mother, said, “You’re not hoping that one of the NEO’s smack us just before the exam, are you?”

She laughed, “Now THAT would be interesting!”

Reso shook his head. “Interesting, but not particularly helpful to either of our careers.”

“Point taken,” she said. “What if one of the NEOs wasn’t an asteroid but something else?”

He sat up from the blanket they shared. He’d leaned back, face to the sun and looked to be dozing off. He was abruptly awake. “What might they be --  in your twisted mind?”She tapped her reader. “What about eggs.”

“I’d love some!” he stood up. “Let’s go and you can fry them up in your cute little English way.”

“Not chicken eggs, you ninny. Cosmic eggs.”

“The Cosmic Ygg?”

She sighed in mock exasperation, adding, “I hate your American pretense of ignorance in certain subjects and actual ignorance in others!”

He laughed, “All right, I’ll bite. What eggs are you talking about?”

“Cthulhu eggs.”

He frowned. “Like HP Lovecraft?”

“And August Derleth, yes. What if the asteroids were eggs of Cthulhu and if one of them dropped on us, it broke open, releasing an eldritch abomination.”

Reso laughed. “I can’t believe you actually used the phrase, ‘eldritch abomination’ in a real conversation!”

Tasmin scowled, looking up to the sky. “We know that space holds mysteries. What if one of the mysteries we find there is that the mythos was true and Cthulhu was about to return?”

Even though the sun was shining hard and bright, when Reso looked up, he shivered.

Names: Contemporary England ; ♂ 17th Century New England  
Image: https://4316bd223ebdc131e650-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/hPMD92Ny
4gJ-.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

No comments: