February 25, 2018

Slice of PIE: Lost in Translation – Conveying Humor, Idioms, and Cultural Concepts Across Languages


Using the Programme Guide of the World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki Finland in August 2017 (to which I will be unable to go (until I retire from education)), I will jump off, jump on, rail against, and shamelessly agree with the BRIEF DESCRIPTION given in the pdf copy of the Programme Guide. The link is provided below…

Loses Something in the Translation: Conveying Humor, Idioms, and Cultural Concepts Across Languages
The challenge in translating fiction from one language to another is not just in the words themselves but also the emotions, concepts, and inferences unique to the original culture. How does one convey a concept in one culture that has no ready equivalent in another? What are some of the special challenges found in particular languages? Our panelists discuss the challenges in translating SF/F fiction.

Dirk van den Boom – author of Science Fiction and Alternative History and works as a translator
Gili Bar-Hillel – translator and publisher from Israel, specializing in fantasy and classics for YA and MG readers; translated into Hebrew Harry Potter books, "The Wizard of Oz", "Peter Pan", and books by Diana Wynne Jones.
Shaoyan Hu – writer/translator for speculative fictions; won a gold award for the best new writer and a silver award for the best novella of Chinese Nebula Award; translated into Chinese: A Song of Ice and Fire series, The City & The City; a blog contributor for Amazing Stories Magazine
Elena Pavlova – Bulgarian SF&F writer and translator, winner of national literary awards, including the illustrated The Ring of the Nibelung series YA fantasy novels; member Horror Writers Club LAZARUS
Mirka Sillanpää – Finnish editor, teacher, journalist, communication professional

My first thought on reading this – and not being able to see or hear the discussion – is that humor might not only be lost in the translation between languages, but can be lost in the translation between cultures, demographics, age groups, and even between neighborhoods.

An illustration of this came clear to me when my wife and I went to see BLACK PANTHER last week.

Both of us have worked in schools where the predominant racial group is black. Friends of ours came with us and as they don’t have children, they’ve also had little experience working in racially diverse schools.

Their take on the movie was that it was “entertaining”.

My wife and I? There were undertones, nuances, and outright dialogue that was startling, stirring, and ultimately uplifting.

The majority of the people at the screening were black and I will say that I have rarely heard a theater so nearly silent as this one. Absolutely there was laughter – the first thing that comes to mind was when the leader of the sixth tribe of Wakanda, M’Baku is listening to the plea of T’Challa’s family to join them in fighting against Erik Killmonger Stevens: “…he howled ‘Are you done?’ at [them]. Iconic.”

In the theater, there was a stunned silence; then uproarious laughter.

I’m not sure how significant those three words were to people who aren’t in that community – or those of us who work alongside that community. I laughed, but I can’t tell you exactly WHY. I can hint at it because I’ve worked with Black students and teachers and administrators: A leader “begs” for help from a former enemy with the complete understanding that the enemy AGREES with him. It’s an incredibly tense moment. The leader expects capitulation. The former enemy knows this, knows that he agrees and expects that he will help.

He breaks the tension by shouting, “Are you done yet?” Everyone laughs because they know that the former enemy HAS to help.

I’ve seen this happen in my office. A black student who doesn’t know me very well comes in and asks me for a granola bar. I spin around in my chair and snarl, “No! Absolutely not!”

There’s a startled look, then I say, “Of course you can!”

Almost without exception, my Black kids bust out laughing. I toss them a bar and they say, jokingly formal, “Thank you, Mister Stewart.” Then they laugh.

Kids from other ethnic and race groups look puzzled, take the bar and thank me politely.

It’s only my observation and inference and deduction, but it seems to explain that response. I’m confident others who work alongside ethnic and race groups other than the one(s) they belong to might observe this. I think that that was where the response to the line from BLACK PANTHER came from.

Certainly other people can find it humorous without understanding or working with black students. I am an OBSERVER only.

Watching BLACK PANTHER though, maybe “getting” some of the humor, makes me think that the people on this panel faced tremendous obstacles when translating “funny” from one language; from one culture; to another.

I think I get the challenge, though I haven’t been able to communicate it. I wrote a short story called “Small Battles” that pitted two comics from two entirely different species (who were incipient enemies) to make an audience that was both mixed and divided – laugh.

Here’s the final scene, the “humorous dialogue” competition:

“Ten minutes later, the master of ceremonies gave them the signal to wrap it up. They’d only reached Newton’s Second Law as Martin said in mock horror, ‘I thought you’d forgotten about that!’

‘Forgot about it? That’s one of the best times we ever spent together!’

“She’d skipped a line and Martin immediately saw why. The timing on this had to be perfect; the Human band across the floor was ready to drum roll the end. Martin rushed on, ‘The hill...’

‘You started accelerating...’
‘Faster than I ever wanted to run.’

‘And I saw that patch of sand on the street at the foot of the hill,’ she paused to let the WheetAh timber groan at the standard WheetAh ‘slipping on loose sand’ joke.

“Martin said, ‘I couldn’t stop. And there was a huge tray of water –a koi pond – on the other side of the street.’ The Humans started to laugh. Martin sighed, ‘You’re right. It was purely Newton’s Second Law of Motion...’

‘The band’s drummer obliged with a rim shot, and the band roared to life behind her as Groan and Martin took a bow to cacophonous WheetAh triple hoots and thunderous Human applause, as well as an abundance of wolf whistles from both – because it meant the same thing to both kingdoms.”

I wish you could read the whole thing…I have work to do on it. You can read my analysis of why it doesn’t work here: http://faithandsciencefiction.blogspot.com/2017/05/writing-advice-can-this-story-be-saved.html


No comments: